The Europeans forgave themselves. So should we

Was Oprah correct?

America and Americans have not had a harder time of moving forward and weā€™ve done it better then any other country itā€™s just that LIBERALISM in America is insidious and regressive and hell bent on dragging the country backward. :angry:

Only in the Democrat South and the nation as whole took care of that during the Civil Rights movement of the 1960ā€™s. Now southerners have evolved over the past half century but liberals have not!

Iā€™m glad you feel that way. No reason for you to even look in this direction.

1 Like

I think the premise of the OP is wrong.

There is nothing for the United States or any individual person to forgive in regards to slavery and there is no person alive that is owed an apology in regards to slavery.

The slaveholders and several generations of their dependents are dead.

The slaves and several generations of their dependents are dead. The United States of 2019 is not that of 1776 through 1865.

Nobody alive needs to be forgiven. The current government, made up exclusively of people still alive, does not need to be forgiven.

Japan and Germany and their people (other than a minuscule handful of extremely elderly folks) donā€™t owe any apologies for their past and their acts are 80 years more recent.

The sins of the fathers donā€™t pass to the sons and the burden of the abused doesnā€™t fall upon, at most, more than two generations removed from the acts.

There will be no apology and no remorse from me.

Because it would be ******* ASININE for me to apologize and show remorse over something that ended over a century before my birth.

Now people bring up post slavery Jim Crow. Separate issue.

Not something I will apologize or show remorse for as I had not hand in it. But, as per my posts on this board and the old forums, I have a long history of supporting remedial civil rights legislation. I will certainly be part of the ongoing solution, but in doing so, I in no way acknowledge any responsibility, nor do I apologize or show remorse, as, again, that would be a ******* asinine thing for me to do as I have no responsibility. Responsibility necessarily proceeds apology or remorse.

There is nothing to be done by the United States or any individual regarding slavery, other than teach about it and hold teachable holidays that deal with the issue respectfully, such as Juneteenthā€¦

There are things to be done regarding the lingering effects of Jim Crow and we should combat latent regressive forces, both in and OUT of the south. I capitalize OUT because some of the most racist people I ever met where some of my neighbors up here in the northern tier of Pennsylvania. :smile:

The problem will slowly get forward as the younger generation, more exposed the internet and social media, are less likely to carry the biases of the previous generations, but it will still be another 20 or 30 years before the racists are reduced to a true fringe.

6 Likes

Not inherently, but the attitudes and beliefs are taught.

Kids these days have no connection to the ā€œconfederate flagā€ other than their parents (who also have no direct connection to it, and barely even a loose connection) wore them, and had them in the backs of their trucks, and had them as license plates, and hung on the walls of their home. But here we are.

But nobody wants to believe that when it comes to the 2A

Austin might be an exception. :wink:

Clap this.

For some reason, tens of thousands of Haitians want to come here. Many have died trying. Can you explain why?

Can you?

Weā€™re the country that everyone wants to get to.

Nope. They prefer to wallow in it. While the rest of the world has moved on.

The same reason as every other Caribbean, Central, and South American country?

I think so. If you donā€™t know, I can explain it to you. Do you need me to do that?

Iā€™ll bet itā€™s not to endlessly wallow in 150 year old slavery guilt.

Right.

I hear Judo is on his way for that free government cheese.

The only persons seemingly ā€œwallowingā€ in anything is you.

1 Like

Thank you for your input! :+1: Iā€™m gad that you have put the issue of slavery way back in your rear view mirror.

Itā€™s not about meā€¦

True. Itā€™s the entire democratic party who is stuck in the 19th century trying to use something that has been dead since 1865 as a political wedge. Because they simply cannot argue issues. They would be destroyed.