The Europeans forgave themselves. So should we

Britain, Portugal, France, Spain, The Netherlands and many others have all done it. What have they done? They have gotten past their slave holding/ trading legacy. They do not wallow in it as we insist on doing. They do not use it as a political wedge to divide people as we do. In fact, they have totally forgiven themselves and moved on. They have embraced the 21st century and left their sins of the 19th century far behind. Shouldn’t we stop the self loathing nonsense and do the same?

Their legacy is not comparable to ours in scale, chronology, or post-abolition policy. There should be no suprise we have had a harder time moving forward.

1 Like

They don’t give their police a free pass to gun down the offspring of slavery.

1 Like

none of those countries have a large population of decedents of former slaves.

1 Like

Every single slave in the America’s prior to the revolution and many after the revolution were provided by one of these countries.

I’m putting you down as a no. We should not move on, we should continue to wallow.

I dont seem to remember europe instituting jim crow type laws and segregating blacks for a 100 years after they ended slavery…

Were there mississippi burning type events that happened in those countries?

1 Like

Every single slave in the America’s prior to the revolution and many after the revolution were provided by one of these countries.

I’m putting you down as a no. We should not move on, we should continue to wallow.

and they don’t teach history of the slave trade in Europe?

Oh… the copy and paste response instead of honest discussion of the topic…

Almost forgot whose thread i was in…

I’ll leave you to your dishonesty…

1 Like

The US should absolutely forgive itself for slavery.

We do however still carry the burden of systematic racism.

Obviously we need to continue to wallow in it as long as republicans/conservatives continue to their movement to restrict their vote.

Forgive the first ignore the second and we’re set.

Do they still fly the flags carried into battle by those who would continue slavery from flag poles, from the backs of their pick ups, as license plates, or as a tapestry on their walls?

Do they idolize statues memorializing the generals who fought to continue the practice of slavery?

Do they cling go the “heritage” of those who tried fought to preserve slavery?

1 Like

Well, that’s not true at all.

I think it’s time to forgive the meaning behind statues and flags and embrace the love people have for them. In the end it’s love that matters, love of family and country. Love of Trump.

As long as monuments to traitors to America stand IN America, and as long as the flags they carried into battle to preserve the practice of slavery are proudly hoisted in the backs of trucks and printed on t-shirts and license plates, then I feel like we aren’t going to move on very quickly.

That might be a valid point.

Judo is making a good point.

How many slave descendants are in Britain?

Not many.

By comparison nearly 12% of the US population are the descendants of slaves.

Now I personally feel that the debt has been paid. But the numbers of slave descendants in the US are staggering.

Of course we were going to have a much more difficult time confronting our past than a country like the UK.

1 Like