The Europeans forgave themselves. So should we

Of course they did.

No, we don’t. Systemic racism is non-existent in this country.

That’s not racism. They’ll do it to you too.

Very good point.

Not only that, but we have a large population of descendants of those who fought to continue to the practice of slavery living along side the population of descendants of former slaves.

That makes true forgiveness and the prospect of legitimately moving on quite dubious.

Bob Lee was right when he suggested that memorializing the war, especially the losing side, would make the wounds harder to close. I think he was right, especially when it came to memorializing the war in areas where descendants of former slaves lived.

I think a large, black population in Memphis, for example, has a legitimate grievance regarding the statues (from public grounds) of persons who fought to keep their ancestors enslaved. I didn’t say destruction, just removal to a more appropriate venue like a museum.

(edit: changed a word that I don’t think changes the meaning of what I said, just clarifies-hopefully it doesn’t change your opinion of my post, @WuWei)

1 Like

Good post.

1 Like

The guilt is held by the masochists on the left. It’s a western liberal phenomena, there are still slaves in many parts of Africa today no one cares, they would rather beat themselves up for something that happened over 150 years ago.

Yes it is.

Very True. When the Europeans gave up slavery, they left their slaves in the Americas to fend for themselves. Example: Haiti. The language of Haiti is French. Because Haiti was a French slave colony. Now the slave decedents live in the most horrific conditions in the entire western hemisphere. Poverty, corruption and misery. And the French have washed their hands of it. No wallowing.

They also aren’t afraid of gun control or government health care. Tradesies?

There is no “also.” I would like to stay focused on the topic.

When the Europeans gave up slavery, they left their slaves in the Americas to fend for themselves. Example: Haiti. The language of Haiti is French. Because Haiti was a French slave colony. Now the slave decedents live in the most horrific conditions in the entire western hemisphere. Poverty corruption and misery. The French have washed their hands of it and walked away. Should they be doing a little more American style wallowing?

No it isn’t. It’s tripe.

When the Europeans gave up slavery, they left their slaves in the Americas to fend for themselves. Example: Haiti. The language of Haiti is French. Because Haiti was a French slave colony. Now the slave decedents live in the most horrific conditions in the entire western hemisphere. Poverty corruption and misery. The French have washed their hands of it and walked away. Should they be doing a little more American style wallowing?

BTW. For some reason, tens of thousands of Haitians want to come here. Many have died trying. Can you explain why?

Your premise betrays so much about how this kind of thinking works. Acknowledging history isn’t “wallowing” and “apologizing”. A large chunk of our populace is here because of slavery. We ignore history and it’s impact on our culture at our own peril. The civil rights act was only 50 years ago man. There are turtles walking the earth who were alive when we made the descendants of slaves use different bathrooms and water fountains.

1 Like

That is true.

What about this premise?

For some reason, tens of thousands of Haitians want to come here. Many have died trying. Can you explain why?

Haiti is a ■■■■ hole. I’d want to come here too.

Nope, both your posts are claptrap.

Because their Caribbean and SA/CA neighbors are doing so well!

Eh, Texas is ■■■■ hole too.

2 Likes

Haiti sucks.

The reason why it sucks is more complicated than most people realize, however.

A combination of local incompetence and the little acknowledged fact that the French forced (at gun point from battleships) the Haitians to pay for the entirety of the land confiscated from white French citizens.

They didn’t pay off that debt until the end 1940s.

Not a good way to start building a nation.

1 Like