The confederate flag. hatred not heritage

the flag is racist. its not heritage,its hatred. the entire confederacy was based on racism and slavery.

south carolina secession docs
“A geographical line has been drawn across the Union, and all the States north of that line have united in the election of a man to the high office of President of the United States, whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery.”

mississippi
“Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery — the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun.”

texas
We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the Confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable.

confederate leader colonel james mosby
“I’ve always understood that we went to war on account of the thing we quarreled with the North about,” he wrote a former comrade in 1894. “I’ve never heard of any other cause than slavery.”

william tappan thompson one of teh biggest boosters of teh confederate flag at the time
As a people, we are fighting to maintain the heaven ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race: a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause

While we consider the flag which has been adopted by the senate as a very decided improvement of the old United States flag, we still think the battle flag on a pure white field would be more appropriate and handsome
Such a flag would be a suitable emblem of our young confederacy, and sustained by the brave hearts and strong arms of the south, it would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as THE WHITE MAN’S FLAG

in 1863 he wrote
We are pleased to learn by dispatch from Richmond that congress has had the good taste to adopt for the flag of the confederacy, the battle flag on a plain white field in lieu of the blue and white bars proposed by the senate. The flag as adopted is precisely the same as that suggested by us a short time since, and is, in our opinion, much more beautiful and appropriate than either the red and white bars or the white field and blue bar as first adopted by the senate

As a national emblem, it is significant of our higher cause, the cause of a superior race, and a higher civilization contending against ignorance, infidelity, and barbarism. Another merit in the new flag is, that it bears no resemblance to the now infamous banner of the Yankee vandals

Fast forward to the 1940’s.
the KKK began using modified versions of the confederate flag in their flags,a trend which continues ot this day

in 1951 the editor of the augusta courier newspaper said
“The Confederate flag is coming to mean something to everybody now. It means the southern cause. It means the heart throbs of the people of the South. It is becoming to be the symbol of the white race and the cause of the white people. The Confederate flag means segregation.”

and then in 2015 dylan roof posed with the confederate flag and then went to a church to murder 9 blacks in the name of white supremacy

you can claim its heritage all you want. its a heritage of hate.
and should be relegated to the same place as the nazi flag.
the trash bin

2 Likes

A friend of mine shared the following posted by someone on social media. Gave me a good laugh:

Just a reminder that the Confederacy only existed for five years. It’s not Ireland where centuries of ancestors lived and died. It’s not your heritage

Nirvana lasted longer than the Confederacy.

My emo phase in the early 2000’s lasted longer than the Confederacy.

You’re not proud of those five years of your great-great-great-great-grandfather’s life.

I think it’s an interesting commentary on the reverence that some insist be paid to the confederacy. Some people fly the flag carried into battle 150 years ago by some distant relative…but what about the relative who survived the depression? Where’s the recognition for their heroism and bravery? Why don’t we put up statues of people who had to survive hard circumstances, not of their doing, and were involuntarily forced to make major sacrifices for their on survival and that of their families?

I think there are a lot of heroes that don’t seem to be treated with the same reverence and piety that the confederacy is.

3 Likes

Damn.

A typical car loan is longer
Jersey Shore was on longer
Bobby and Whitney’s Marriage lasted longer
The Tea Party Lasted longer

4 Likes

And these are just tiny tidbits.

Between the articles of secession of Georgia, South Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, and Virginia, slavery, “the negro”, or other related causes were mentioned 90 or so times.

Those articles paint a pretty unfortunate picture of how the south was being. I mean, the Mississippi literally lists slavery as the driving factor. They literally say it:

And they had every intention to continue slavery:

"We embrace the alternative of separation; and for the reasons here stated, we resolve to maintain our rights with the full consciousness of the justice of our course, and the undoubting belief of our ability to maintain it.

And there is a large part of the population that argues that what they literally told us is the driving reason for the war wasn’t the driving reason for the war.

The irony near the end of MS’s articles is REALLY ironic. They were MASSIVE hypocries.

Utter subjugation awaits us in the Union, if we should consent longer to remain in it. It is not a matter of choice, but of necessity. We must either submit to degradation, and to the loss of property worth four billions of money, or we must secede from the Union framed by our fathers, to secure this as well as every other species of property. For far less cause than this, our fathers separated from the Crown of England.

I’ve read all the secession documents, but some of that flag stuff is new to me.

1 Like

Confederate flag, its a flag of losers. I get it my ancestors are double losers.

How about those who were drafted to fight other peoples’ wars? Never mind the ones who died as a result. Patriotism, my ass.

You make a very good point.

How many veterans have commented so far?

I don’t care, even though I live in a blue state my family is from Tennessee none of them cared either about the flag one way or the other. I think you will find only a small percentage of people do strongly care about the flag flying on a public building. What they oppose of is mobs ripping ■■■■ down. I personally haven’t met or talked with anyone who said they would care if a statue or flag was removed from a building if people voted on taking it down.

I have seen more than my fair share of hammer and sickles at protests and rallies through the years where I live, I personally find it distasteful as I do all the people wearing Che Guevara shirts but if some idiot wants to wear it whatever it’s a piece of cloth. What I do care about is action not words or symbols. I don’t care that they wear Che shirts I however do care deeply when those same people take over six blocks in the city I live in, as I would if a thousand confederates took over a portion of a city, I would have the sense not to support that as well. To many people on the left are brushing this action aside as no biggie, they shouldn’t the inverse could happen. What is that saying for every action their is and equal or greater reaction? I don’t want to see that reaction.

My line of thought would be the cloth can’t hurt you the idiots can.

1 Like

Confederate veterans? Probably not a lot. But that’s just a guess.

1 Like

Strong rebuttal. Nailed it.

Any kind of veteran. I didn’t think so either. lol

A bunch of kids playacting at having a sit in like they heard their grandparents had can hurt you?

If you think that, you’re far less hardy than you let on.

The Fredericksburg slave auction block was recently removed following a city council vote - you can converse with several people right here who are firmly against its movement to a museum.

1 Like

And yet you can fly a Nazi flag in the United States without much controversy at all, why is that exactly? Never mind I know why and it’s because there is no leftist Democrat political benefit! :roll_eyes:

The Supreme court ruled 8-1 decision in the Westboro Baptist Church case that hate speech is a constitutional “free speech” right in this country and you can say hateful things, hold up hateful signs, and fly hateful flags, so love it or hate it the Confederate flag has the same rights.

You can virtue signal all you want about ancient history and the atrocious ways un-evolved people acted hundreds of years ago but that was then, this is now, most Americans have evolved & leftists need to catch up :roll_eyes: because free speech rights still exist in the United States.

1 Like

Who apart from racists and fascists would want to fly a flag with the swastika on it?

Who apart from racists would want to fly the confederate flag.

As someone else said the confederacy lasted 5 years, hardly a long time in this nations history or long enough to be part of some tradition. Flying that flag has nothing to do with history or tradtions.

The reality is people want fo display that flag because a) they somehow think they are sticking it to PC culture b) They have the attitude that if it pisses off liberals then its good or c) they are flat out racists.

Who flys the Nazi flag without controversy. Any one flying it is treated as low life scum as they should be