The confederate flag. hatred not heritage

The thing is, when numerous localities started discussions about removing Confederate statues the state governments quickly passed laws requiring localities to have state government permission before they removed any statues.

An inanimate object can not be racist.
End of your credibility and it should be the end of this thread.

1 Like

KKK Hood? What would you call that

It’s amazing the lengths some will go to defend racist symbols

t
To be a racist one must be able to form opinions. A piece of cloth cannot do that.

It’s amazing the fundamental ignorance I see here.

1 Like

What would you call a KKK hood?

It’s made of cloth.
If that’s the best you can do, I think I’m wasting my time here.

Can’t answer the question? Is it just a head covering?

Is N word with “er” racist? After all, words do not have feelings either.

1 Like

The poster that responded knows its a losing argument, so has to resort to nit picking. Typical tactic used many times here. As is saying “wasting my time here”.

Racism Definition:

the belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

To be a racist, one must be able to hold beliefs. Can a flag do that? No. Can a KKK hood do that? No.

“Meaning” is a two ended stick. A message has a sender and a receiver. Both contribute to what a message means. Both sender and receiver need to be mindful that their interpretation leads to accurate communication.

Symbols are particularly tricky in this regard. The bent cross was once an obscure philosophical symbol of some cultures, then it got adopted by the Nazis and its display has means something else. The scholarly investigation of the history of a symbol has little to do with what it means today. (Does decorating a tree at the start of winter harken back to pagan rituals, or is it a celebration of Jesus birthday, or is it an affirmation that Santa Claus is coming. The history of decorating trees does not effect the meaning of that tree to the eye of a child seeing the tree.)

Side note: On the Civil War battlefield, the flag didn’t mean anything about states rights or slavery. It had an immediate, practical meaning, “rally here”. The meaning of that flag was not related to governmental philosophy as much as it related to who was going to be breathing tomorrow.

The meaning of a symbol has two ends, the intent of the sender and the reaction of the receiver. Investigating the history of a symbol argues only on the intent side of that equation. The notion of “really means” is an intent based perspective.

The repeated explanation from a flag waver that “its heritage, not hate” is an indication that the waver isn’t paying attention to the reception of that symbol. Someone who is waving the flag to express their heritage, by now they should know that it ain’t working. They should know that waving that flag doesn’t convey the message of heritage. If they want to display their heritage, they should try some other method that actually gets that meaning across.

Individuals can ignore the reception. (I still believe that at least half the Confederate flags are flown with the sole intent of pissing off liberals.)

But institutions can’t ignore the reception. NASCAR can’t ignore that the message being received is “blacks not welcome”, so it’s banning the symbol that causes that message to be received. Country musicians have been aware of that reception and the album art has reflected that for a long time, they are starting to do similarly at their concerts.

The history of a symbol has little to do with its current meaning. And two components to the true meaning of a symbol, the intent of the sender and the reaction of the recipient.

Yes or no…

So the KKK hood is not racist? The N word with “er” is not racist?

If the hood can think and hold a belief, then it may be racist. I don’t think it can. What do you think?
You are the only one who has described the word you are talking about. Is it racist? Are you a racist?

1 Like

Ok. Seems like you do not think a KKK hood is racist, nor do you think the N word with “er” is either.

I disagree. Symbols can be racist.

A symbol cannot be a racist but it can be used by a racist. If David Duke used a white handkerchief to blow his nose, do you think the handkerchief is racist? You must think so to show any consistency.

The KKK hood stands on its own, correct? Meaning if you were walking on a sidewalk and saw a KKK hood on the ground, what would be your first thought?

What about words? Can they be racist? Words don’t have feelings either

You guys are arguing semantics, no a hood can’t be a racist, it can however convey a racist message. Which is why context matters. If someone cut out eye holes in a white pillow case to wet and use to escape a burning building, is he wearing a racist hood?

I’ll predict what Purple will say:

Yes the pillow case is racist. Why is the man fleeing the fire? Because the flame is yellow and red. That proves he is a racist. He hates Asians and Indians.

1 Like

I feel like my IQ would drop 10 points having to explain why having thugs taking over what is now 7 blocks of downtown Seattle including a police department is not a cool thing or play acting. The police chief has said the response time now to 911 calls has slowed by 3 times now because of the lost precinct. It is not cool If they truly were just play acting (many are not) we have plenty of woods and forests were kids often go to do these sort of things like larping which doesn’t effect the rest of the city.

Do I supposed to take his word or the Warlord in the Chaz zone?

1 Like