Texas history curriculum to emphasize that slavery played 'central role' in Civil War

thats a relief

i hate it when i find out later that i got taught some bad lessons

and ive been a grown man walking around talking nonsense

1 Like

They ruin everything they come into contact with.

That certainly spells out the motivations of the Confederate VP clearly. Was there any objection to it raised by other members of the Confederacy?

The Confederate constitution made it illegal for states to end slavery if they chose to do so after it was ratified. It also curiously enough specifically forbade secession.

Who told you that? Slavery is mentioned precisely once in that constitution and it doesn’t say that I can see. Can you provide a quote please.

Let’s try that query a different way. Do you agree the war was fought over the concept of slavery to determine if southern states could get away with masking the right to own another person as a ‘state right’?

No. I agree that the state right in question was self-determination to own slaves or not.

Article IV Section 3(3)
The Confederate States may acquire new territory; and Congress shall have power to legislate and provide governments for the inhabitants of all territory belonging to the Confederate States, lying without the limits of the several states; and may permit them, at such times, and in such manner as it may by law provide, to form states to be admitted into the Confederacy. In all such territory, the institution of negro slavery as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected by Congress, and by the territorial government: and the inhabitants of the several Confederate States and Territories, shall have the right to take to such territory any slaves lawfully held by them in any of the states or territories of the Confederate states.

With the wording they used it would have been nigh impossible for a Confederate state to outlaw slavery without causing an enormous constitutional crisis.

2 Likes

In the context of how did this happen and how it was resolved at an ugly price.

Not in the context of slavery being reprehensible.

To be clear.

Thanks for posting, that’s an interesting part of American history you don’t often see.

Yeah I read that, it doesn’t say what you said.

Exactly.

Thanks.

Indeed. Good post.

The pontification was states rights but the rest was about slavery.

Can you provide this quote as well please.

The issue of states’ rights was slavery.

I don’t know if the same slavery mindset was the same in Texas as the deep south?

East Texas it was. Where most of the population was. Has to do with water.

It’s like it wasn’t about states rights at all, but actually about slavery.

I like your Mueller picture best. Very introspective.