Texas history curriculum to emphasize that slavery played 'central role' in Civil War

That really surprises me. For forever Texas has been teaching that it was more of an equal thing between states rights, slavery, etc.

I guess what they were teaching previously was incorrect. Now they’ve fixed it.

1 Like

I mean…the “state’s rights” they were fighting to defend…was the right to own another person. It’s hard to deny what ACTUALLY happened, especially considering Texas, among other prominent states, seceded because of slavery. Their articles of secession include the following:

Referring to “Texas” as “she”:

"She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery–the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits–a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. "

“In all the non-slave-holding States, in violation of that good faith and comity which should exist between entirely distinct nations, the people have formed themselves into a great sectional party, now strong enough in numbers to control the affairs of each of those States, based upon the unnatural feeling of hostility to these Southern States and their beneficent and patriarchal system of African slavery, proclaiming the debasing doctrine of the equality of all men, irrespective of race or color--a doctrine at war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in violation of the plainest revelations of the Divine Law. They demand the abolition of negro slavery throughout the confederacy, the recognition of political equality between the white and the negro races, and avow their determination to press on their crusade against us, so long as a negro slave remains in these States.”

In its articles of secession, Texas LITERALLY argued that that “equality of all men” was a DEBASING DOCTRINE (meaning it was degrading to Texas to proclaim that all men were truly equal), and that arguing equality for ALL MEN was AT WAR WITH NATURE and violated Divine Law…aka, Texas believed that God said whites are superior.

It’s good to see Texas finally recognizing what really happened.

3 Likes

It’s about time.

Welcome to the 20th Century Texas!

2 Likes

It’s all the liberals moving to Texas…

So, How many decades will it be until they enter the 21st Century?

Good to see you figure it out.

Good to see Texas finally figured it out. Those articles of secession aren’t much to be proud of. Glad they’re finally deciding to teach the kids the facts of the Civil War.

Finally! So now how do we go back and teach current Texas Trump supporters the truth about slavery? Perhaps an Ad on Fox News?

1 Like

Glad we could do something you approve of.

It’s not about my approval. It’s just about facts.

Charles Dickens said it well in Hard Times:

“‘NOW, what I want is, Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts. Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else. You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts: nothing else will ever be of any service to them. This is the principle on which I bring up my own children, and this is the principle on which I bring up these children. Stick to Facts, sir!’”

Are we sure that’s not from The Onion? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Scientists would certainly retrain others when they figure stuff out. Not really any chance to retrain people about this though. I’m not sure they’d even want to.

Good ol’ backwards Texans… looks like they are becoming somewhat normal. I have hope for them in the next couple decades; be nice and blue soon enough!

Of course it did. This is dog bites man material. States rights cut to the core of federal cohesion, yet anyone with any logical aptitude knew that the issue of slavery was the core issue.

Texas was not a southern ideological stalwart, it was much more independent minded.

Texas isn’t the only State that has skewed Civil War facts, California definitely did it and they may still do it.

Like several other states, it was an extremely complicated issue.

1 Like

It is still impacting us today. Much more so than we tend to realize.

Oh? Can you show us an example of what you mean by that?

Kansas was really split on the matter…Literally.

I think the complexity is one of the reasons this period remains well read and is studied today.