Texas history curriculum to emphasize that slavery played 'central role' in Civil War

That’s a good point. But in K12 no one is going to cover individual states like that. Here the entire 4th grade year is devoted to Wisconsin history and culture. That’s where that belongs in Texas.

Other than that, it’s going to be in specialized History of Civil War classes.

2 Likes

Do you know why Kansas?

I don’t think it is well read and studied away. I believe disgust has forced us to avoid any depth of study at all.

Texas History is mandatory.

Yes, there were some complexities around the Civil War, but those complexities do not change the main nut of the thing.

Many folks will use those complexities as a cudgel pursue their real goal, which is to obscure the central role slavery played.

Good on Texas.

How many? How do you know that?

You have my vote for understatement of the year.

I am going to disagree. This period in US history is fascinating to anyone who looks for history cause and effect. I find well read youth of today to enjoy the subject and there remains a wealth of literature thanks to the volumes of accounts that were recorded by what was a much more literate society then than we see now.

Just look at how well received the Ken Burns documentary on PBS was. He simply read the literature in front of compelling still images to create a fascinating narrative.

Ok, we can disagree. Respectfully.

I didn’t watch but part of the documentary.

The Vice President of the Confederate States of America (a different country than the USA) spelled it out quite well. It does get ignored a lot though…

"In what’s now known as the “Cornerstone Speech,” Stephens told a Savannah, Ga., crowd in 1861 that “our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas [as those of slavery foes]; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.”

2 Likes

Not to be an SJW and all…but that sounds a bit racist.

1 Like

Stephens was from Georgia, not Texas.

1 Like

Indeed. Slavery is like the star at the center of a planetary system in relation to the Civil War. Sure, it’s interesting to study the planets, but there is no understanding the system without understanding the role of the star.

Beware the folks who want you to focus on the asteroids, or the outer planet. They are distracting you from the great centrality of the thing. And they likely have a reason for doing so.

8 Likes

^^^

Damn straight.

1 Like

Interesting analogy. Do you agree the war was fought over the concept of a state’s right to determine if it would allow the ownership of human beings as slaves?

I went to school in California, that’s how I know, it’s what I was taught! I know better now!

11 pipers piping

Meh. Mere sophistry. Unless one also believes the south would have started a war over being able to assert a state right to protect individual ownership of beanie babies or Groucho Marx eyeglass novelties.

So, yeah, slavery. Doesn’t matter the justification.

1 Like

I’m not attempting to deceive you. Did the slave states try to force slavery on each other or any other states?

when i went to school the civil war was easy

the south wanted slaves

the north didnt

they went to war

and the south lost

so slavery is gone

do i need to learn more

Nope. You’re good.