Susan Collins example of how government is bought

I am not opposed to this.

We all have a voice in politics as citizens, and the way current culture works, money is the loudest “voice”.

Ill bet that most of that money would have ended up with Susan Collins’ opponent whether or not this effort happened now. Money is fungible. Individuals (especially individuals) have limited discretionary income to spend on political donations. Money spent on a candidate today is not going to be available for some other candidate in 2020. Or 2018. Dollars that would otherwise have gone to the Dem Senatorial candidate in 2020 might now go elsewhere given that the D-Senate candidate has this pool of $$.

I think Collins was very concerned about this effort, and it was part of her holdout until the last minute. But I think she calculated that she would have had an even larger hurdle to jump in 2020 had she voted NAY on Kavanaugh.

Politics is a tough business. Dems played some of the hardest hardball I’ve ever seen regarding the Kavanaugh confirmation. The funding effort to sway Collins is just a side street to the extensive map of tactics used. People who are concerned about this bonanza funding for the next challenger can pool together and create a counter-fund.

1 Like

:rofl:

Of course I did.

So… again.

What statute do you think they could be charged under?

Why should we care unless they are using their elected positions to enrich themselves?

We’ve been over this, I’m not inclined to repeat myself.

No, you’ve just repeatedly dodged the question.

You’re still dodging.

Did you read the statutes in the wikipedia page?

1 Like

What part of this did you fail to comprehend? You were provided with the statutes.

So you didn’t read the statutes. I did gave you a chance.

To the Code…

18 U.S.C. § 871

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

No… that doesn’t fit. Ok, let’s try the next one.

18 U.S.C. § 875

(a) Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any demand or request for a ransom or reward for the release of any kidnapped person, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

(b) Whoever, with intent to extort from any person, firm, association, or corporation, any money or other thing of value, transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any threat to kidnap any person or any threat to injure the person of another, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

(c) Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any threat to kidnap any person or any threat to injure the person of another, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

(d) Whoever, with intent to extort from any person, firm, association, or corporation, any money or other thing of value, transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any threat to injure the property or reputation of the addressee or of another or the reputation of a deceased person or any threat to accuse the addressee or any other person of a crime, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

Nope, that doesn’t seem to apply either. Let’s look at the last one…

18 U.S.C. § 876

Whoever knowingly deposits in any post office or authorized depository for mail matter, to be sent or delivered by the Postal Service or knowingly causes to be delivered by the Postal Service according to the direction thereon, any communication, with or without a name or designating mark subscribed thereto, addressed to any other person, and containing any demand or request for ransom or reward for the release of any kidnapped person, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

(b) Whoever, with intent to extort from any person any money or other thing of value, so deposits, or causes to be delivered, as aforesaid, any communication containing any threat to kidnap any person or any threat to injure the person of the addressee or of another, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

(c ) Whoever knowingly so deposits or causes to be delivered as aforesaid, any communication with or without a name or designating mark subscribed thereto, addressed to any other person and containing any threat to kidnap any person or any threat to injure the person of the addressee or of another, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. If such a communication is addressed to a United States judge, a Federal law enforcement officer, or an official who is covered by section 1114, the individual shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.

(d) Whoever, with intent to extort from any person any money or other thing of value, knowingly so deposits or causes to be delivered, as aforesaid, any communication, with or without a name or designating mark subscribed thereto, addressed to any other person and containing any threat to injure the property or reputation of the addressee or of another, or the reputation of a deceased person, or any threat to accuse the addressee or any other person of a crime, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both. If such a communication is addressed to a United States judge, a Federal law enforcement officer, or an official who is covered by section 1114, the individual shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.

Nope… that doesn’t seem to apply either.

Wanna try again?

NOTE TO MODS: As far as I understand, the US Code is not copyrighted material

3 Likes

The internet and public airwaves are a means of conveyance both interstate and international.

…and?

Which section of the code do you believe applies to this situation?

I think the reason why this particularly drive has been as successful as it has (almost $4 million so far) is because they capitalized on outrage. By the time the election comes around, people will be outraged about something else, and thousands of people from around the country aren’t going to worry about a senate race in Maine.

Whoever runs against Collins in 2020 will have quite a warchest right out the gate.

(a)In General.—Whoever—

(1)

forcibly assaults, resists, opposes, impedes, intimidates, or interferes with any person designated in section 1114 of this title while engaged in or on account of the performance of official duties; or

(2)

forcibly assaults or intimidates any person who formerly served as a person designated in section 1114 on account of the performance of official duties during such person’s term of service,

shall, where the acts in violation of this section constitute only simple assault, be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both, and where such acts involve physical contact with the victim of that assault or the intent to commit another [felony], be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both

Assuming the pledges are even collected on you’re right but then it’s not like she can’t raise money herself or through the RSC, or RNC.

Absolutely.

Of course, there is outrage on both sides of the political fence.

I think the outrage at the Dem antics during the hearings will erase (if not reverse!) the predicted blue wave. It’s broader than most people think.

The Collins opposition is one of the few places any new liberal outrage can be applied as a results of the Kavanaugh confirmation.

Just my opinion, of course.

So now you’re going to try to argue that this campaign assaulted Sen. Collins?

2 Likes

The pledges have already been collected, as far as I understand.

The wealthy Repub congress members made money in business, prior to congress.

I used to listen to political ads for Collins and Snowe. Never could fathom how they could call themselves Republican.

I was simply responding to the poster’s falsehood.

They crime of regular voters daring to influence a election with money like their betters the rich who many Trump supporters worship as nobility.

They you do’t actually look at Collins voting record, she has voted 95% along with Trump…Oh wait unless someone bows before him 100% they are a dirty liberal…