Susan Collins example of how government is bought

They used the threat of raising money against her to sway her vote and it failed. They should be prosecuted.

Now she’s speaking out against it as is her right.

What should they be prosecuted for?

Is that allowable under election rules? Donate to a 3rd party until a candidate is chosen?

I doubt this has ever gone to the courts, so I can’t say for sure. There doesn’t appear to be a law against it.

Here’s the relevant section of the CFR:

Unlawful attempt to change how a senator votes through intimidation sounds like a very good place to start.

What section of the US Code is that law in?

Threatening a public official.

1 Like

That’s a wikipedia page, not a section of the U.S. Code.

I’m asking specifically for the actual law this campaign violated.

And if you click on it and read the first couple of paragraphs you’ll see the relevant statutes are cited.

Yeah, I read those sections. Did you?

(This is a chance to save yourself some embarrassment)

4 Likes

Checks/credit card payments would be in the name of a 3rd party that are transfering it to a candidate that is unknown. Sounds to me like th 5k/5k limit would be in effect when that 3rd party transfers funds to the candidate.

§ 110.6 Earmarked contributions - 52 U.S.C. 30116(a)(8).

(a) General. All contributions by a person made on behalf of or to a candidate, including contributions which are in any way earmarked or otherwise directed to the candidate through an intermediary or conduit, are contributions from the person to the candidate.

Thing is, they are NOT being made to a candidate right now. There is no named candidate they are being collected for so in my opinion that doesn’t fit that definition.

Well, feel free to file an FEC claim.

As I already said, I don’t think this has gone to the courts yet, so who knows?

Of the top 50 wealthiest Congresspeople, 32 are Republican and 18 are Democrat.

4 of the top 5 are GOP.

They do split evenly in the top 10- 5 Dems and 5 GOP, but the next 6- all GOP.

I know I know- this isn’t the REAL list…I’m sure you have the real list somewhere with your list of paid hannity posters.

1 Like

So the seat will be up in 2020.

The funds are for the challenger to Snow (not me :smiley: ).

Say 4 dems challenger her in the primary, will they contact Each person who donated to see what candidate gets the money? If they don’t contact each person and the passthrough decides who to fund . . .

See the questions on why I don’t think it fits

According to the page, the donation will go to whoever wins the primary and gets the nomination.

Seriously? So tell me, if you tell a politician you won’t vote for them and will actively advocate for their opponent if they vote a certain way, should you be prosecuted?

You’re not saving anything and obviously you didn’t even click on it until after my second reply.

The threat was made to influence her vote, I think a federal prosecutor that wanted to could make a good case of it.

I think in cases where it is obviously done to intimidate them yes.