Susan Collins example of how government is bought

That doesn’t follow.

1 Like

What?

I guess you’ve never heard her campaign. Her Democrat opponent had to go conservative to be different from her.

There was no falsehood, read the post again.

You conflated it with enriching themselves while in office to their total net worth.

Threatening to do so if she voted for his confirmation is both.

It doesn’t specify physical force.

:rofl:

No, it’s not. No more than telling your Congressman that you’ll vote against him if he doesn’t do what you want.

Yes, it does. In the context of law, “forcibly” means with physical force.

Very true. I can tell you that if there were an initiative to counter-fund Collins, I wouldn’t give a penny for that reason.

Then why do other federal laws specifically mention “physical force”?

It is by definition both interference and intimidation. Break out your dictionary.

They don’t.

By all means, try to find an example.

You’re reading the wrong dictionary.

1 Like

(a)

an offense that has as an element the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against the person or prop­erty of another, or

(b)

any other offense that is a felony and that, by its nature, involves a substantial risk that physical force against the person or property of another may be used in the course of committing the [offense]

Try again.

• Follow
  1. U.S. CodeTitle 18Part IChapter 73 › § 1515

18 U.S. Code § 1515 - Definitions for certain provisions; general provision

prev | next

(a)As used in sections 1512 and 1513 of this title and in this section—

(1)the term “official proceeding” means—

(A)

a proceeding before a judge or court of the United States, a United States magistrate judge, a bankruptcy judge, a judge of the United States Tax Court, a special trial judge of the Tax Court, a judge of the United States Court of Federal Claims, or a Federal grand jury;

(B)

a proceeding before the Congress;

(C)

a proceeding before a Federal Government agency which is authorized by law; or

(D)

a proceeding involving the business of insurance whose activities affect interstate commerce before any insurance regulatory official or agency or any agent or examiner appointed by such official or agency to examine the affairs of any person engaged in the business of insurance whose activities affect interstate commerce;

(2)

the term “[physical force]” means physical action against another, and includes confinement

crime of violence that has as an element the use or attempted use of physical force against …

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title18/part1/chapter26&edition=prelim

Congratulations, you found a single example of the phrase “physical force” in the US Code.

“Force” still has a legal definition. It means violence, or the threat of it.

You will not be able to find a single law dictionary or court opinion that interprets it differently. You will get the same answer from any lawyer you ask.

This has been settled common law for hundreds of years.

1 Like

Single? Keep reading, you were just plain wrong, admit it.

“While “force” is necessary element of any violation of statute proscribing forcible assault, resistance, or interference with federal officers engaged in performance of official duties, that element may be satisfied by proof of actual physical contact, or by proof of such threat or display of physical aggression toward officer as to inspire fear of pain, bodily harm, or death.”

U.S. v. Schrader, C.A.8 (S.D.) 1993, 10 F.3d 1345

“We have said that this provision ‘must be read as prohibiting any acts or threats of bodily harm that might reasonably deter a federal official from the performance of his or her duties.’”

United States v. Walker, 835 F.2d 983, 987 (2d Cir.1987).

Ok, I fully admit that you found 2 sections of the US Code that mention “physical force”.

Do you think that means you “win” this argument?

Ok, I fully admit that you found 2 sections of the US Code that mention “physical force”.

Do you think that means you “win” this argument?
[/quote]

Did you write this?

I didn’t write whatever that first quote is.

But yes, I did say that. And I was wrong - you found two places in the code where the term “physical force” is used.

That’s entirely irrelevant to what we’re talking about, though.