Superheroes—With Pronouns!

I’m ignorant of the comics, so for me Bruce Wayne, Steve Rogers, and Peter Parker are Batman, Captain America, and Spiderman.

Reflecting reality is not bad, but when a 130 pound woman (no super powers) can cripple or kill a room full of grown men it comes across as just silly.

1 Like

Sure, that seems silly… but badass fighters like that have existed in media for decades… what does that have to do with the topic?

That’s part of the woke thing - “small girls who can kick some major ass!” :grinning:

1 Like

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of this as being a woke thing.

I wonder if people will be upset that captain American is now black!

1 Like

I’m not outraged. I’ll just avoid woke movies and do something else. I shaved 10 strokes off of my golf average this year while ignoring the NFL and NBA.
If in the future they make Batman or Captain America minority lesbians for the hell of it, or because the comics did it, I’ll avoid them as well and just re-watch the old ones. Problem solved.

I refuse to watch unless they make them majority lesbians؟

Really? I mean, I don’t know what else to classify it as.

It’s a well worn trope: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ActionGirl

1 Like

I posted about it because work is slow and I find these discussions entertaining. Whatever though, just let the market decide and see what happens. I still think the failed Ghostbusters reboot is a pretty accurate portrayal of what most think of “woke” Hollywood. Maybe I’m wrong. So be it.

1 Like

We call him “The Phantom”

You mean like they did with Khan on Star Trek: Into Darkness?

We call her “Black Widow”

We call her “Hit- Girl” from the comic “Kick Ass”

Bingo. Goofy as hell.

Whoever that is, I guess so.

“The Phantom” used to be “Black Panther”? If so, is this the story line Marvel will use for Black Panther 2?

Well I wouldn’t say it’s all just woke nonsense. There is the martial arts genre…

Not in English… the insults are great though.

The Ghostbusters reboot failed not because it was all women but because it just wasn’t funny.