Steel workers beginning to understand they got conned

News flash: there haven’t been many raises in the private sector period going back at least a couple of decades.

And I reiterate- would not have gotten one this time except Wilbur Ross leaned on steelmakers to get them to concede.

Huh?

10whatthehell

Please you tell me who in their right mind would stay at a job with no possiblity of a raise.

you do a good job for the man, you are rewarded with raise. promotion etc.

Allan

Most subsidies for tech, is by states and cities, not the fed.

Clean energy is not the tech industry, Sure, there is some tech in clean energy, but it is the energy industry.

As far as Tech jobs only being in SF and Seattle, that is false.

I support electronic manufacturing in my area. And the company I work for supports tech in nearly every state. These are skilled manufacturing jobs. There is still quite a lot of electronic manufacturing in the states. A lof in the north East, Texas, the south, the midwest.

Hawaii…not so much.

Can you name some of these companies?

Mostly true, as that is when Reaganomics really started kicking in.

None of this is true.

There are several people who have been at the company I’m working at now for 30+ years. They seldom get raises, but they also have pensions. I’m guessing the pensions are why they stay. I don’t get a pension, but I get educational assistance that the employer pays for. That’s why I’m still there, for now.

I could, though I’m not sure why I should bother. If you really care though, I could just as easily PM them to you. The ones I’ve worked at anyway.

I am also in the tech industry. Most of my customers are profitable, and I am not aware of any foreign based companies, that are using their US operations as a write off.

I am genuinely curious.

Keep up the spin. I admit you are good at it.

Your original point was to say that steel is an industry that needs unions, because it is “too dangerous to not have” union representation. My reply was to ask why you think that’s so. Your reply admits that without unions, management would readily endanger the health and safety of workers to make higher profits. They would cut worker safety to save money. For example, they would not provide adequate safety equipment, if it saved them money to not provide it. Thanks for the insight. This confirms what most clear thinking workers already know - that most companies will do anything to avoid expenses. They will even let workers get sick, hurt, and occasionally die, unless unions push back and demand safe working conditions. Imagine then, how those companies feel about increasing expense by giving employees pay increases or better benefits. They will NEVER do that, unless forced to do it, by union pressure, regulation or market forces. And when the market behavior is that few if any companies need to raise wages, then few if any do. Too bad we don’t have more unions; maybe then, more than a few pennies from the massive Trump corporate tax cut would have flowed back to the worker, instead of going into management bonuses and “shareholder value.”

2 Likes

Yep. Those teachers have really made sure to be overpaid for what they produce. We should probably protest teachers getting so overpayed, right?

From your story: US Steel wanted the workers to give up more and the only thing that saved them is the union that you and Trump would very, very, very gladly get rid of.

You would gladly get rid of the evil union so that these workers could get ■■■■■■ over and then either disparage them for not working hard enough or pretend to care about them some more like you have the coal workers.

Pretty pathetic that you are here trying to champion them now.

2 Likes

lol - PM them to me too. But why the hell can’t you just list them in a post?

What I keep hearing from you and other conservatives here over and over again is that Capitalism isn’t really the hot ■■■■ you all claim it is without handouts from tax payers to keep it going.

Does that about sum it up?

Well that is because us greedy workers have not given enough to corporations and the job creators in the way of incentives and tax breaks/cuts in order to deserve any kind of raise.

Or maybe if productivity over the last 20 - 40 years hadn’t decreased by 50 - 60% us lazy slugs would get a little more cheese.

There has been a pattern since the 80’s. America has completely shifted the countries manufacturing base overseas. Now effectively we have made communist China the second richest country in the world, and they are not a liberal society.

I have heard zero alternatives to tariffs in terms of trying to bring manufacturing back to the states. If the answer is it is never coming back then that in itself will erode the middle class of the country.

Yeah, my sister was a teacher for a while. By the time she factored in all the time she was spending in grading papers, helping students, and other stuff it came to around $2.50 per hour. She was really raking it in :rofl:

1 Like