Steel workers beginning to understand they got conned

In sum, looks like steel workers aren’t being Made Great Again after all. Turns out tax cuts for the rich and tariffs have not rained riches down upon them. Well, at least they got Nationalism again! Next mortgage payment, just write “Nationalism” on a slip of paper, and mail that to the bank!

Welfare payments to farmers for the losses from the tariffs, steel workers saying the tariffs haven’t done them any good - I’m seeing a pattern here…

I have some US Steel union workers that would beg to differ…

The new four-year master agreement takes effect immediately. It includes a total of 14 percent in wage increases over the life of the contract, maintains the union’s high-quality, affordable health care coverage and strengthens retirement benefits for the USW’s 16,000 members at 14 U.S. Steel locations. The contract also allows for much-needed investments in the company’s facilities.

14% pay increase is pretty good to go with improved health care and retirement.

1 Like

Picked a bad news day for this battle. 16,000 union workers are celebrating a 14% raise…

:confetti_ball:

But U.S. Steel stock is going down…

The story in the OP is from Georgia. Yours is from Pennsylvania.

Looks like one of the issues is the difference in power that labor unions have in states that have right to work laws and those who don’t.

9 Likes

That is from August when contract talks were heated and uncertain.

The important word in there is “union”.

1 Like

I used to call on Bull Moose in Trenton. Dirty place, made structural tube steel from hot roll black. Hot roll prices jumped after the tariffs, looks like Bull Moose bought up as much as they could before the increases and stockpiled.

Fair point. Steel is one industry that I think benefits from organized labor. It is too dangerous to not have organized employee input.

1 Like

Right. In a few years when steel mills are unprofitable, anyone want to guess who is going to get the blame?

Enlighten us. Why is the hazardous nature of steel work appropriate for employee unionization?

I personally think that all forms of labor should have union representation… but I am labor so I am a little biased.

3 Likes

FRom the article:

“In 2015, workers recognized that the steel industry was struggling and agreed to make sacrifices so that U.S. Steel could get through some tough times,” said USW International President Leo W. Gerard. "Now that the company has recovered and is projected to earn nearly $2 billion this year, workers rightly wanted a share of that success.

Despite its improved financial position, U.S. Steel’s initial proposals demanded more concessions. In early September, USW members responded by voting unanimously to authorize a strike. "

Anyone with a minimum of reading comprehension could tell this article is about a single steel company that doesn’t seem to be run very well and management has conned their workers and does not indicate how the steel industry overall has been revived by President Trumps policies.

This is an example of what President Trump calls fake news!

1 Like

Management or ownership may find cost cutting in areas that endanger floor workers.

I have seen where piecework incentives for union members lead to productive output AND safe work environments. Not an easy balance.

I am in favor of this where private industry exists. I find public sector unions to be redundant since the management there is ultimately responsible to the voter. Police unions work well, no strikes. Teachers unions do not…too political…and they strike while never losing wages.

Disagree.

The government can be a crappy employer also.

All labor should have representation.

I don’t expect things to change. I just see government organized labor, especially teachers, as having the best of both worlds. They have job security and the ability to force wage growth and the ability to control work place place rules.

The result?

Unimpressive.

I don’t see the problem.

They should have all three of those things.

1 Like