So Trump declared a National Emergency...What precedent does this set going forward? Is Nancy Pelosi right?

I feel like the one thing you can count on in politics is people protecting their own power, so maybe you’re right. But things keep happening that I never thought would happen, so…

1 Like

If you agree with anything Trump does you are a Trump lover and therefore not a real conservative. Happens here all the time.

You ever think that because some people made a choice between the lesser of two evils , that doesn’t make them ■■■■■■■■■■■■■”, “Trumpbots”, and all the other names that fly around this board? You think maybe some people get tired of all that ■■■■ because some people won’t listen to what they actually say but instead start throwing out bigot, racist, Trumper Bot etc?

The complaints about never being able to discuss something are real.

There you go. Telling us AGAIN who are real conservatives.

I think arrogant was the correct word.

Dems need to use a national emergency on a number of things. Now that the con man did it and then said that he didn’t really need to the flood gates will open.

I’m guessing much better healthcare, a climate change national emergency and much tighter gun controls.

Hell, they could even say there is a national emergency related to the corruption in the Republican Party once they gain power again.

That is a fair point. So many of our traditions and norms have been eviscerated over the years. And the destruction has only ramped up under the current administration. I remain hopeful that the courts will see this obvious attempt to circumvent the Constitution for what it is.

Why? Seems he has decided who is and isn’t a conservative based on his criteria. If you don’t hate Trump and dare to support him on any issue, you aren’t a real conservative.

I remember back in the early noughties when all the conservatives were whopping for joy about the patriot act. Myself and others tried to tell them that they might not feel the same when a democrat is president. Fast forward to 2008 onwards and suddenly all those supporters of the Patriot Act are trying to tell us they never supported it.

This is exactly what will happen with this. The usual suspects will be clapping Trump on then when a Dem president takes the same steps they will be telling us how they were the lone voice against Trump back in 2019.

3 Likes

That excuse is not relevant to those who continually defend Trump 2 years later. That is not choosing the lesser of 2 evils, it’s being a supporter

1 Like

You are spending a lot of time talking about Kon and not talking about his OP. It isn’t about him. Start another thread if you want to define real conservatism.

Talk about the unconstitutional power grab by the conservative President.

Still mulling over the pros and cons. It’s a rather complex issue and lots of people throwing out different reasonings for both sides. I’m trying to do some more reading and review of some of those things and weed out the crap or things that don’t really apply.

If you remember, I was one of those who did NOT agree with it. I said then, be careful what you wish for because it can/will be used by the other side.

That is where I am right now on this issue. I’m not finished reading the info being presented on this, so I can’t say it’s a good thing or bad thing at this time.

Either 7-2 or 9-0.

7-2 would be Alito and Kavanaugh dissenting.

• Kavanaugh because he views Trump through beer goggles and by God does he like beer.

• Alito because he’s the queen bee of the judicial Unitary Theory hivemind.

2 Likes

Was hoping he wouldn’t actually do it. Was trusting that his handlers would not let him set such a dangerous precedent.

For Trump, trying to save face with his base and the CEC was obviously more important.

3 Likes

I only throw Thomas into that side because he seem largely disinclined to rule in any way that would send his FoxNews-addicted, conspiracy-theory promoting wife into an emotional meltdown. I mean, who wants to add that headache to ones life? :flushed:

1 Like

Trump has only one move. Dial the crazy up a notch. We’re seeing it in action right here.

Any reasonable observer watching the speech would know that when I use the word “crazy”, there is no hyperbole attached.

1 Like

Maybe he shouldn’t be labeling other people conservative/not conservative based on his definition.

I’m pretty sure libs/dems also have a variety of people with differing degrees of liberalism etc. on their side too. Doesn’t make them not “real” liberals. Just a wide range of beliefs revolving around a more common belief.

See, that’s the kind of appreciation for the entire context of a situation that I often lack. I can see several dimensions usually on a pure political level, but that type of insight escapes me.

6-3 it is, then.

I can say this, Roberts will not let this smackdown be 5-4. He will drag at least one over and probably have a pretty strong initial insistence on a unanimous court.

1 Like

I would love nothing more than an unanimous court. But with Kavanaugh, outside of his obscene obsession with beer and his complete hatred of the 4A, his other real strongly held belief is an almost unilaterally powerful Executive Branch. Almost to the point of being a monarchy. A true believer in some of the positions of Gouverneur Morris. So I have my doubts about him.

That’s reasonable. Wall aside, it seems to me that the power of the executive branch has been growing steadily in recent administrations, and this feels like the biggest step yet in that direction. It worries me.

1 Like