So Trump declared a National Emergency...What precedent does this set going forward? Is Nancy Pelosi right?

The president does have an enormous amount of latitude to declare national emergencies, but Trump’s use of the power in this way is unusual and could have far-reaching consequences.

“A Democratic president can declare emergencies as well,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi warned Republicans on Thursday. “So the precedent that the president is setting here is something that should be met with great unease and dismay by the Republicans.”

the article further states:
Some Senate Republicans have already voiced concerns similar to Pelosi’s. Sen. Marco Rubio said that “today’s national emergency is border security” but also said that a future Democratic president “may use this exact same tactic to impose the Green New Deal,” a policy framework recently proposedby Democrats that calls for large public investments to combat climate change.

I will go one further in my own words:
If the Democrats win in 2020, could they after the first school shooting declare an NATIONAL EMERGENCY and start revoking gun ownership rights, or putting strict new caveats on gun ownership. Pushing through very strict gun laws nationally. Did conservatives just support the wrong guy’s stance and kick some very dangerous stuff down the road two years. I think the courts need to be very careful with how they rule on this national disaster. Trump could have set the precedent for rights to be stripped in all kinds of National Emergency settings.

I am concerned for some very strong conservative values being threatened. I know this will be unpopular with Trump supporters…but think before you support something? You might not like the consequences of what you get. (Statement not pointed at anyone in particular. It is a rhetorical statement only)

Of course Nancy’s right, if Trump gets away with this. How could the next president be denied the same powers?

It would be extremely hard for the current SC to allow for this usurpation of power and not allow for a Democratic president to do the same. Thats why this is a farce- just political theater to look good to his ever gullible base.

They’ll do Global Warming before guns.

And the so-called “Conservatives” will ***** and moan and I will drink their salty tears with relish.

1 Like

I wish I had your confidence. Roberts hasn’t proven to me he has real guts yet. Gorsuch and Sqi are complete Trump toadies, Alito is a nut and I’m pretty sure Thomas gets his decisions from Fox News.

Mark my words - Those who are waving the Trump MAGA flags now will be gnashing their teeth and screaming “unconstitutional!” when the next Democrat president attempts the same thing.

And yelling how they lie and are damaging the office of the presidency, lol.

Yup- sure its possible that they will allow for this though I seriously doubt it. Roberts won’t want to be the one going down in history to cede immense power to the executive. But who knows…

As a real conservative, this really concerns me. If Trump does get his way, this opens the floodgates. Makes me wonder if this is the real reason for Trump presidency. To do something this bold that 40 to 60 percent of republicans will support…and then years later the other shoe drops. Our rights take a bigly hit if this goes through.

1 Like

Fake news. It doesn’t set a precedent. It’s used quite frequently. Most Presidents have done it several times. How many national emergencies did Obama declare? A dozen?

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

You have a special dictionary or something?

Most if not all are acts blocking the property of individuals who are meddling in elections, conspiring to commit terrorist acts or harboring those who have intent to hurt the US. I didn’t see one that attempted to divert funds to build a wall, which in effects blocks congress’s already passed bill.

yeah…I do. It defines a real conservative vs a fake on. LOL

If you want a copy of it…I am selling them on line for 57.99 a piece. I take all major credit cards. Like a real conservative.

1 Like

I’m thinking healthcare first.

In your world, maybe it does.

You aren’t the arbiter of what/who is a “real” conservative and what is not. I find it rather arrogant that you believe that you and only you are a “real” conservative.

Why do you think a number of republican congressmen think this is a gross abuse of power?

Only because the guys in trumps back pocket spend so much time calling me a liberal because I disagree with Trump on so much. Maybe if I was given a little bit of credit for really being a conservative who just disagree’s I wouldn’t say things like that. But Trump supporters love to try to belittle me into changing sides by calling me a liberal or worse. But. Hey…to each his own right. Unless it goes against what Trump or his supporters believe.

2 Likes

OP bought into left-wing talking point hook line and sinker…and then he lectures us about “real conservatives”?

Only on Hannity forum…

I didn’t buy into anything; the same way you don’t buy into the right wing talking points…then come to lecture me about buying into talking points.

Only on the Hannity Forum…

2 Likes

Kissing Trumps ass doesn’t make someone a conservative. It makes them a Trump asskisser.

3 Likes