So nothing like this could ever happen to a white man? Oh really?

Its a ratings thing. They are going to report on things that get the most views. Same reason why white missing kids get reported on more than black/brown kids. Society at large voted with their wallets as to what gets reported.

2 Likes

Which makes them ā– ā– ā– ā–  !

Not everyone gets caught, if thatā€™s what you mean. Clearly there can be definitive statistics on the cases in which no one was caught. Although, in some or even many of those cases there is evidence available on the suspects. Personally, I have no idea if something like that is even published. Nonetheless, no one can say the statistics we have are meaningless.

I appreciate the efforts by some here to get to the root causes of the violence.

As a Boomer going to school in the 50ā€™s, we learned that poverty, oppression, and helplessness lead to crime. If crime increases in those experiencing the above, so will, mathematically, police excesses against them.

Rocket science?

Crimes are manifestations of things graver at their root. Some nice contributions to that discussion rather than just counting crimes.

We need a White Lives Matter movement. I think Iā€™ll go demonstrate.

And Iā€™m not saying they are worthless, just that they donā€™t prove the claim.

Victim reports may be a better place to look.

No, but poverty is not true.

Appreciate the correction. There are many impoverished communities and countries that donā€™t resort to crime. Itā€™s the oppression and helplessness.

1 Like

I would have said ā€œindividualsā€.

The vast majority of poor folks are great people.

1 Like

I have seen no evidence that if a cop sees a white burglar breaking into a store he is likely to say ā€œOk, heā€™s white so Iā€™m going to let him go.ā€ So lets rule that out as a possible reason, unless there is some evidence of it happening.

1 Like

Burglary is not a violent crime.

Good giref. Ok, replace that with robbery, then.

If the police ā€œseeā€ it. How often do the police see a robbery happening? When they ā€œsee itā€ is not the problem. ā€œMatched the descriptionā€ is.

Enhā€¦property and crime rates are generally about in the same proportion re whites and blacks. 2:1

https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime/ucr.asp?table_in=2

The way they use it to try and get what they want is.

I donā€™t understand.

Using it to question a person who matches a description height, color, clothing after a hold up, is the correct way. Using it to get your info or to frisk you just because they see you standing on a corner and you refuse to identify yourself because you donā€™t have to is the wrong way. It is as blatant as the I smell weed excuse.

Only if the contact is consensual.

It can and does happen to white men.

The reason itā€™s amplified when the victim black, like someone in this thread already mentioned, is due to our countryā€™s history of racial inequality.

Not sure what you mean. States I lived in you donā€™t have identify unless you are detained (you have to be suspected of a crime to be detained). Doesnā€™t matter if it is consensual if I understand what you mean by consensual.