Should 11-year-old girls have to bear their rapists' babies? Ohio says yes

I’ve never come across separate lines personally, but why should the DMV hire only those who speak multiple languages? Are those who don’t speak English refused a state ID, car or boat registration, or driver’s license? NO. That has nothing to do with “religious freedom” laws.

Refusing to grant a marriage license, give medical treatment, or dispensing certain prescriptions because of religious beliefs IS DISCRIMINATION.

The parents give the consent, Conan.

We should start doing a thorough investigation of all miscarriages to make sure no foul play is involved.

No Samm. Those were the times when back-alley abortions killed women. You think screwing around and getting pregnant is new? Unwanted pregnancies have been around forever. Safe and legal abortions make it safe for the woman.

1 Like

I think he was quite clear about how it works.

So much for Jezcoe’s autonomy argument.

We make someone have an abortion, which is legal, then we arrest the person that raped her. For a procedure that is legal. Sounds legit.

1 Like

Nobody has ever suggested that laws stop crime. Well, except for liberal gun-grabbers that is …

1 Like

Aren’t you one of those “the law is the law” guys?

He’s one of the old dudes I’m talking about. He’s not going to change his mind about controlling women’s decisions.

1 Like

Quote one post where I advocated or even suggested controlling women’s descisions.

1 Like

The sanctity of life is a philosophical concept that isn’t the property of the Christian Right.

I do think that people should know as much about biology as possible and be truthful as to what is and isn’t there during fetal development.

It could go a long way to clearing up things like making a heartbeat bill for a time before the heart has developed.

1 Like

It is a law that is informed by morality.

It is a moral argument at it’s root, and the product of that moral argument becomes the law.

I don’t know how I can make myself any clearer.

And a bunch of them are young women.

Boogeymen make ignorant statements easier to say.

How so?

We have established a standard of consent in this nation based on age

The young girl still has autonomy, is able to have an opinion about what should happen to her, can advocate for what she wants, etc.

If the parents refuse her wishes, either way, that is their parental right but I would seriously question their judgement if they go against the advice of their doctor or countermand the wishes of the child.

That wasn’t the point we were discussing in that nest of posts.

How did you miss the point that Lucy made that the parents of the girl have the ultimate say in what she does (unless she goes to court and sues for emancipation.) Her say in what happens can be overridden by her parents, therefore, they, not she, have autonomy over her body.

Of course it was.

It was the point that has been made all along.

I have tried to make it as clear as possible.

Sadly it doesn’t get through.

I didn’t.

I wrote what my opinion is on the matter.

I can only speak for myself.

No. That was a point we were discussing earlier. It was not the point we were discussing in that particular set of exchanges.