Shortly after Japan finally bans floppy disks, Target stops accepting personal checks

At some point, people have to be dragged kicking and screaming into 2024. I can’t remember the last time I wrote a personal check. I still keep a check book in the rare case of the backwards retailer who is not set up for electronic payments, but its been quite a while since I actually wrote a check.

Tap and pay. Certainly a lot easier than taking time (and holding everybody else up) by writing a check.

Good for you Target.

It’s a dumb ban (the one on personal checks).
it’s just easier than letting people know the scary scary knoweldge that today when you write a personal check it’s account info is instantly scanned like a debit card and instantly debits your account.

1 Like

The young people know that, sorry some olds haven’t figured it out yet.

It’s not a dumb ban.

About the only place I still write a check is my local PYO strawberry farm. They still haven’t switched to cards.

Cant remember the last time I used a check. Heck its hard to remember last time I carried cash.

Even at garage sales (which my wife drags me to) everyone is accepting payment electronically.

Take a picture of a check and the send the picture to the bank.
The bank knows how much to deposit. (It reads the check)

Deposit a check in an ATM, and the machine’s scanner knows how much the check is for. (it read the check)

For $60 you can buy a (paper) check scanner and Abaracadabara, “customers writing you a check”
becomes
“customers using a debit card.”

No difference whatsoever, and no one of any age who does their own shopping should be surpirsed.

That’s some snobby ass ■■■■ right there. :rofl:

1 Like

I can’t even remember the last time I used a check. With mobile deposit, debit / credit cards, and Apple Pay or Google pay checks seem kind of like trying to boot a computer from a floppy disk (and yes, I’m old enough to remember those days).

Now if we could just get my mother into the 21st century. She refuses to get even a debit card. It’s almost painful listening to her call her bank to find out whether her SS check has been deposited. My sister and I have both shown her we can check that kind of thing with a phone app.

Visa is probably behind it.

Got to get that transaction fee.

1 Like

Checks are dying out and so is cash.

But lets keep it in perspective only 11% of US adults have stopped using cash entirely and I am one of them.

My favorite phenomenologist wouldn’t have shopped at Target anyway

I wonder how many from the youngest generations would even know how to write a check? :laughing:

I’ll be honest every check I have ever wrote in my 35 years of life was to pay speeding tickets. Because that’s all they would take for payment. ■■■■■■■■ wouldn’t even take cash.

1 Like

This is not true - and particularly dangerous, as it is a big part of one of the bigger scams these days.

When you deposit a check, the bank has to make at least part of the deposit available immediately - but unless the check is drawn on the same bank that you’re depositing it in, it can take weeks or even months for the money to actually move between banks. There’s no “instant debiting” of the account the check is drawn on.

There’s a very popular scam these days called a “fake check” scam - there are a lot of variations, but they all involve being given a check, and then asked to make payments via Zelle or Venmo. The victim deposits the check, sees the money in their account, then makes a payment via an unreversable payment system - then a few weeks later, the check bounces, and all of that money is pulled from the account.

This is used as part of fake job scams - the victim is “hired” for a remote work job, and given a check to purchase “equiptment” for the job from a specific website (which is controlled by the scammers), and in countless other ways.

1 Like

Tithes and taxes. Those are the only things I use checks for. There are a few places that charge a credit card surcharge. They’re worthy of the hassle of getting a check.

I remember when I got my first passport years ago, I walked into the courthouse with all my documentation and cash to pay for it. Turns out the court only accepted money orders or certified checks - so I had to make another trip for that.

Renewing the passport is much easier - you can do that by mail.

1 Like

I just pulled somebody out of this particular fire.

1 Like

You write me a personal check.
I xan take a photo, push some buttons and WHAMMO fast as electrons, the money is outta your account and in mine.

Commercial check scanners attached to most registers (PIS) are no different.

The whammo is only what you see. The actual transfer of money doesn’t take place and if the check bounces a few weeks later you are on the hook to your bank. They can even close your account out.

You are confusing consumer ease with how money transfers actually happen between banks

1 Like