Is it just me or are job scams more common now?

About a week ago, I joined in Stonecrest, Lithonia, Conyers, Decatur news group to keep up with the news and see who was hiring. I found a post asking who needed a job and I commented. Then, a guy responded that he had an interview offer and to PM him, so I did. In PMs, he stated that he introduced to me a Data Entry position at a company called ADACTION that required no experience paying at $30 an hour. :triangular_flag_on_post:I should have seen that as a red flag, but I was just happy that my 6 month+ job search had come to an end.
I said that sounded good and he asked me to download Telgram.

I download Telegram and the interviewer, someone named Marsh from ADACTION messaged me. He described the company, the wage, and benefits. He interviewed me, and told me I got a score of 8 out of 10 on the interview, and that they would accept me on board. He asked me for my account username and password and account number :triangular_flag_on_post:for my sign on bonus. I gave it to him because I’m stupidly gullible, and I find $7,000 was deposited into my checking. There was a code for a new device and he asked me to give it to him, so I did. My bank put a hold on the money because they thought it was a scam. I told my dad about the job offer, and he said it sent up some red flags- he advised me to change my password and block them, which I did. I find out the next day that $7,000 had been taken out (which left me in debt to the bank for $6,099- from the money I already had in there) and my savings cleared out. I change my password a second time and contacted our bank about it, which my dad told me was wire fraud. The bank reversed the transactions, thank goodness. My dad said earlier today he found that $851 from my savings had been transferred into my checking, and I hadn’t logged on today. He contacted Chase and they locked my account.

Next time I’ll listen to my dad.

Anyway, are job offer scams more common now?

2 Likes

Chase also said they were familiar with ADACTION, and they had scammed other people. That blew my mind.

2 Likes

I remember reading that during the COVID shutdown, the number and presence of internet scams (not job scams per se) increased dramatically.

For reference:
Ten new crypto currencies have been launched and added to the exchanges in the past 24 hours.

By them now! Get them while they’re hot!

1 Like
1 Like

Don’t ever ever ever ever ever share username/password to anyone.

A legit business never needs this information.

:purple_heart: :heart:

I’m glad it got squared away, whew!

1 Like

Ha, I immediately thought of that too.

I’m sorry that happened to you flamehesrt. Glad you caught it in time.

1 Like

Why don’t you sign up with an employment agency? It gives you a chance to see if you like a job and they match you based on your experience level.

3 Likes

Never respond to unsolicited job offers. I got one the other day from Glass Door but the senders email was a hotmail account :grinning::thinking:.

Anyone who asks for any type of processing fee or wants your account information is going to be a scammer.

Some phishing emails are very sophisticated and they have web sites set up that look like the bank, financial org etc they purport to be with. Check them carefully, look at URLs for inconsistencies, same with emails. Its easy to miss just one character difference that proves the email is not from who they pretend to be.

The good news is most banks these days will give you an instant credit on disputed transactions while they investigate it.

:joy:

1 Like