Shooting at Chabad synagogue in San Diego kills one, injures three

Basically. Meaning when Fox & Friends spins it that way.

He meant people there in Virginia, in general.

1 Like

Trump says many things to many audiences because his weak ego craves approval BUT his ambivalence about condemning Charlotttesville has been beyond question and his moral failure on this matter absolute.

He continued his defense if the “Unite the Right” rally just yesterday.

There were no people there protesting the removal of the statue that weren’t white nationalists. That’s just trump and his supporters gaslighting the rest of us.

1 Like

Maybe when the torches come out and a woman gets murdered you get SUPER clear about who the fine people are.

1 Like

His exact words at the time:
“I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally…,.”

There is no way to put that in a context where he is saying that neo-Nazis and white nationalists are fine people. No way…unless you are carefully leaving out appropriate parts of what he said and “summarizing” it.

There where no “Fine people” there everyone at that rally was supporting white nationalism.

that is like saying I’m not supporting the KKK if I go to a KKK rally because they have good cookies.

3 Likes

What he did was invent a group of “fine people” that were there - some imaginary group of people who weren’t white supremacists, but just really liked a statue - and used them to play down his condemnation.

Because he knew all those people there voted for him.

California is a “May Issue” state, meaning even if your background is as clean as a whistle, the issuance of a CCW permit is up to the discretion of the issuing authority.

That quote is out of context with the “fine people” comment. Here’s the context…

Reporter : “Mr. President, are you putting what you’re calling the alt-left and white supremacists on the same moral plane?”

Trump : "I’m not putting anybody on a moral plane. What I’m saying is this: You had a group on one side and you had a group on the other, and they came at each other with clubs – and it was vicious and it was horrible. And it was a horrible thing to watch.

"But there is another side. There was a group on this side. You can call them the left – you just called them the left – that came violently attacking the other group. So you can say what you want, but that’s the way it is.

Reporter : (Inaudible) “… both sides, sir. You said there was hatred, there was violence on both sides. Are the --”

Trump : “Yes, I think there’s blame on both sides. If you look at both sides – I think there’s blame on both sides. And I have no doubt about it, and you don’t have any doubt about it either. And if you reported it accurately, you would say.”

Reporter : “The neo-Nazis started this. They showed up in Charlottesville to protest --”

Trump : “Excuse me, excuse me. They didn’t put themselves – and you had some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group. Excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.”

1 Like

Well, if they’re concealing them properly you wouldn’t know how many people are carrying. That’s kinda the idea of the whole concealed part.

For the statue!

1 Like

It’s actually worse the more you read. It’s like you can see him tossing around “they are being treated very unfairly” in his mind on a loop so much that he has no idea what words he’s actually saying.

At best, Trump was staggeringly ill-informed and had no idea what he was saying.

At worst, he was deliberately appeasing and pandering to racists.

Not every Trumper is a white nationalists, but every white nationalists is a Trumper.

Bold I know

4 Likes

Yeah. Here’s the full press interview. He was given plenty of times to denounce the alt-right, even lead with a plain condemnation. Instead he attempted to deflect again and again. He finally did so at the end of the questions. I think it was because he maybe realized the hole he had dug himself. Or really is that clumsy and incoherent.

But I was told it wasn’t about the statue.

Why would the reason the alt-right is at a certain place at a certain time justify their actions or motivation? Does being there for a statue protest mean the president shouldn’t quickly and decisively condemn them? Or does that make it OK for him to wait 48 hours and then stumble through questions?

Update on the shooting.
8chan is filled with Qanon followers and white supremacists.

A user self-identifying himself as John Earnest posted a white nationalist open letter to the far-right message board 8chan. He also used the username “JohnTEarnest” to post the letter on a document hosting site.

It wasn’t about the statue. That’s the point.

Either Trump lied, or - giving him the most benefit of the doubt possible - he just didnt know what he was talking about.