Shooter reported at Texas high school

Good to see you too. :slight_smile:
Yes, the bombs are the scariest part.

Probably do more than an “assault weapons” ban.

debateable

Right? How many people are out there. LEO’s Fire Fighters are out there trying to find them and dismantle them. At any time they could kill someone or many someones. As a person who has spent much of his life working with people with mental illness and emotional problems. I have to wonder what this kid’s options were to make such a heinous decision.
Reality Therapy Dr. William Glasser says that everything in life comes down to the decisions we make…not what others do to us…but what we do in return. All decisions we make have consequences…either positive or negative consequences. That we live life trying to respect and be respected, live life in reality( that is to say that we understand that there are consequences and there is no getting around those consequences…none of us are above the consequences) and that we know right from wrong.

From a societal point of view…I think this kid like others are caught up in the idea that there are examples of people every day getting away with ■■■■■ And these kids, have rationalized that if celebrities, politicians, and sports heros can get away with stuff, so can they. I mean we have had 2 of our last four presidents get away with doing in appropriate things to women, we have countless politicians, actors, sports heros and others get away with things. We even see people get away with murder because they have so much money to throw at it…they make it go away. I guarantee if I were OJ I would have gone to jail. Right?

My point is this. I think that kids are not given adequate tools to deal with the pressures of life and then they do not know how to rationalize things in the proper way. Their reality is based on what others get away with. No consequences for wrongs, breeds contempt for consequences. Therefore this kid does what he does, because he thinks his actions are an appropriate response to others bullying him? That’s not reality, not respecting of others, and not knowing right from wrong.

He used a shotgun and a pistol.

And most of them are on some kind of medication that alters their personalities. Antidepressants, anti-psychotics, certain pain killers. We have 83,000,000 people in the US on drugs that list depression, mania, agression, suicide and homicidal ideation as side-effects. Personally, I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often.

2 Likes

Then why don’t other countries(that use the same medications as us) have a comparable number of mass shootings like we do?

Both my kids are ADD not ADHD…but ADD. The medications that they take for this has been a lifesaver. They were diagnosed by a child psychiatrist after many tests and evaluations, not just hey lets throw medications at it. I believe that they are, because I am. I struggled by. I have been successful because I gravitated to a career that allows me or forces me to quickly go from one thing to another to another. I have been working all day, but posting here as well. I can go back and forth between my work and this almost seamlessly. On the days where I am not able to. I take a bit of xanax to slow my thoughts and keep me on track. Today though I am on fire. My thoughts are going back and forth between this and my real work, and I have gotten so much accomplished. My kids on the other hand have not learned to do this. So they need medications. They get excellent grades and my son just graduated from a very formidable school where he double majored. He starts a job in marketing on Monday. He would not have been able to do this without his ADD medications.

1 Like

What other countries are you talking about? Are their populations comparable in size to our own?

Not all people have the same reactions.

“America’s gun homicide rate is more than 25 times the average of other high-income countries.”

I am guessing it is because they require therapy to go along with these medications, and if you don’t see a therapist, you may not be able to have your scripts refilled. See none of these medications were meant to be taken as a fix. They were meant to be taken along with therapy our counseling. And if we don’t do both, we run into emotional issues.

This winter my GP an osteopath diagnosed me with depression. I filled out an 8 question evaluation in ten minutes time while waiting for him. He tried to put me on lexapro and then later buspar. within two days of taking both medications I zoned out. Thankfully I have a strong enough background in psychology, BA in 1984 and 1997 I got a Master’s in health administration…I knew that I was reacting poorly to these medications. And for this ridiculous diagnosis, I am looking for a new GP. He never asked me what was going on in my life, and he didn’t want to hear it when I tried to tell him. I am really pissed at him for this.

My life has been a bit emotional…I have spent the last two years watching my dad deteriorate from brain injury related dementia, and there is nothing I can do. It gets hard. My wife had two cardiac ablations in August and November, and I had two kids in college…Just every day stress. I ditched the medications both times, and Have been fine.

I think we forget so much about taking care of the mind and the spirit and the emotional side of everything and just focus on the magic pill approach, and that is why people with these medications in other countries do so much better. We allow everyone with a medical license to practice dispense these meds. And my D.O. is living proof that he should not be.

What are their numbers when you add in suicide and change it to “homicide” instead of “gun homicide”.

Because that’s exactly what they are doing. They don’t count a suicide, and by limiting it to “gun homicide” of course out numbers are higher than theirs.

But what matters is death, not what was used. So what’s the numbers for general purpose homicide?

i think you guys are being very short sighted with respect to women and guns. they will join in and start carrying out mass shootings, at a much closer rate to men, in the not to distant future.

it’s just a matter of time.

Well there’s a pleasant thought to end my day on. Going to get a drink. Anyone else?

you Have unlimited bullets.

The army needs your technology.

Allan

It takes me about 2 seconds to reload.

Wanna test that?

I have no clue what you just said?

Women with guns are sexy :slight_smile: