SF soldier submits to waterboarding to prove a point

Does that go for CIA, CoJ and FBI?

Is he? Or is it your opinion?

The US should not use torture, suspected terrorist or no.

Why not?

It doesn’t comport with Reagan’s shining city on the hill, does it?

Because we don’t think anybody else should torture our people.

I’m not a Reagan guy.

Well, that’s never worked. They do it anyway.

You don’t agree with America as the Shining City on a Hill goal?

They all do?

I suppose I am being a bit cynical here, but torture is sort of built into the system of any country that has appreciable power, because any powerful country is going to have powerful enemies.

Everyday people walk around in a country they love not knowing the dirty crap you have to do to keep folks safe. And thats a good thing, because if they knew they would hate it. But can it be avoided?

We are not the only powerful nation on Earth, and if some nasty crap has to take place to stop even nastier folks from doing even nastier things to our oblivious citizens, then I suppose I accept that.

What I don’t accept is that this needs to be out in the open, legislated and supervised. You don’t want to know whats in the sausage, you just want to like eating it. If stuff like this needs to be done, it needs to be covert and with as few a people knowing about it as possible. The folks that do it needy to be sure its necessary and not overused or abused.

Career spooks, so to speak. Righteous warriors.

And those who suffer from it, if they are evil enough to warrant it, should probably never see the light of day again to speak of what they experienced.

Thats the ugly truth. Don’t tell me and I won’t ask. And don’t ask for my approval, you won’t get it. But I do understand that how things work and get done are often fairly horrible things.

Most of our adversaries in the 20th century tortured American POWs as policy. The Japanese, North Koreans, Iraqis, North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong.

The only real exception were the Germans. The Germans, in both world wars, generally treated Western POWs humanely and observed the Geneva convention. In the east that wasn’t the case in either war.

Should we have treated prisoners the same as the Japenese did in WW II?

Yes, it goes to them, too. The CIA, CoJ? and FBI should not be allowed to torture people.

You think I’m talking about torture when you mention abuse of power?
That’s pretty naive don’t you think?

Read what you replied to again genious.

I did genius.

You said.

You should not give the power of torture to anyone because eventually someone with abuse that power

Power of torture … abuse THAT power

You really don’t understand this and you go around calling people idiots. Precious.

Hey Einstein…do you think torture is only abuse of power?

Say…you really aren’t all that smart are you?

I was specifically talking about torture - nothing else. You moved the goalposts.

And I’m not going to argue with someone over something so obvioius with someone who sounds like a grade school dropout. Sorry.