Saw Captain Marvel Today

It was formulaic, and the acting/writing was subpar. I’m hoping Larson gets a better script and turns in a better performance in Endgame.

Curious to me is, I don’t remember the same level of manboy rage over Wonder Woman, a far superior movie in my opinion. Did I miss it back then, or was there something unique to Captain Marvel that set them off?

There was some man boy rage at Wonder Woman. What sparked the man boy rage over this movie was that Larson made a good point about there needing to be more diversity at every level of movie production… including criticism… but she made it really poorly. So white man boys get sooper offended because they can’t have everything that they want at all times.

Ahhh, ok. That explains a lot.

That should probably have been in past tense since she already filmed Endgame and its coming out next month :slight_smile:

I doubt the same writers and directors will be called back do the second CM movie if there is one…

Well yes - my hope is future tense only because I haven’t seen it yet. :wink:

Here’s hoping. It wasn’t horrible, just…felt like something made for TV rather than a major motion picture from Marvel.

There’s little question that they’ll be another one. It’s been out a week, and it’s already made half a billion dollars, worldwide.

I think the bigger criticism from Larson was that most of the media doing production’post-production interviews were white males. And she was a little…snarky about it.

I wasn’t blown away by Captain Marvel, but I liked it enough. I actually thought Larson herself was just a bit…I don’t know…too much like Downy Jr’s Stark. Too quirky, always has a witty retort-I found CM to be a bit like Iron Man and Captain America and Ridley’s Rey in the new SW saga. I just didn’t find her motivation terribly original or fleshed out, and much like other Marvel super heroes (and super heroes in general), only really realizes her true potential when she’s about to lose and die. Then BOOM, she realizes the real power was inside her all along and unleashes it and PEWPEWPWEW LASERS AND POWERS!!! And she’s a do gooder who wants to do good because she wants to do good.

I put CM on roughly the same level I put Wonder Woman. I LIKED them both, but found them both to be slightly above average super hero films.

If any of you guys follow RedLettermedia on YouTube, I’ve found they have very similar views on film that I do, and they had a little to say about the controversy over the film-mainly showing a bunch of examples of non-white males doing film interviews for high profile films, which was Larson’s main complaint.

Honestly, the “controversy” of the film put a bit of a shadow over the film for me. I’m getting a little tired of film after film being surrounded by controversy, and it’s really hard to avoid these days.

I did not know of any controversy until.i read about it here…

While i like what MCU has done i dont follow any of the social media around them or anything really…

Plus Marvel intends to have Captain Marvel be the new Iron Man of the MCU, since Endgame will be RDJ’s last Marvel movie, in terms of being the main character that all the other movies revolve around.

I suppose had the movie flopped they’d reconsider but it didn’t flop.

Just saw it today and thought it was very solid. It told a decent origin story while bringing some fan favorites back for more prominent roles.

Anyone else here watch Agents of Shield? I’ve been trying to recall if Coulson acted surprised when the Kree were first introduced on the show or not. I think I remember him being surprised so which makes his appearance in Captain Marvel a bit of a continuity error.

Just saw the movie.

It was fine. A lot of my problems with it could have been fixed with much better editing, there were some parts that were pretty lazy i.e.“The Train is heading for a tunnel”… the epitome of lazy in a medium where show don’t tell is much more effective.

The music was absurdly bad… it was a little low energy but once again I think that a lot of what I didn’t like could be fixed if the exact same footage was edited better.

If I’m not mistaken, his first encounter with the Kree on Agents of Shield was the first episode of Season 5. The group had just been abducted and thrown into the future in an unknown environment. I don’t think Coulson acted surprised after the Kree were introduced. The first part of the episode he acts like he has no idea where he is. After the Kree knock out the gang and they awaken locked in another room they immediately get started talking about theories about what the Kree are doing.

AoS is available on Netflix.

Come on Jezcoe. You loved it when they played No Doubt.

Meh… it was okay.

That fight scene was horribly edited.

Really… most of the movie could have been fixed with better editing.

I don’t think it was a bad film.

I do feel that half of my enjoyment of the film is from 90s nostalgia.

I’ll take your word about the editing.

I thought it was fine. I do hate it when I am watching a movie and I am thinking how it could be better.

Then I start to notice a lot more flaws.

The thing is that one of the things that should have been the most impactful moments was when she found out that she was from earth. But it wasn’t… because we as the audience already knew that from the flashbacks. One of the bug problems though was that it wasn’t all that impactful to the character also.

The performances were fine, but the editing and the direction basically made Carol Danvers an empty shell to pour laser fists into.

Guardians of the Galaxy remains my favorite MCU film… not to say that there aren’t problems with it… because there are, it is just that the movie is so much fun to watch.

That is something that they weren’t able to capture again in the second one and they sure as hell didn’t pull it off here.