Russian Jet downs American drone over international waters in the Black Sea

whatever prigozhian told it to say

Whispering behind the church bulletin? Tsk, tsk.

No one says that the drone did not have a transponder.

Russian reports say it was turned off. Would that be a hazard to other aircraft?

The mountains that appear in the background of the Pentagon video appear to be consistent with Russian reports that the drone went down off the coast of Crimea near the Russian naval base in Sevastopol.

The history of US actions involving drones should provide some context for the statements from the US government. For example, the US took down an Iranian drone over international waters in 2019:

The US has a history of shooting down Iranian drones over Syria without permission from the Syrian government. Here are stories from 2021, 2023, and 2017.

Back in 2011, Iran took down an American drone near the city of Kashmar in northeast Iran. The details of how the drone got into Iranian airspace are still disputed.

And I am saying they are lying. It is required to have it on in international airspace because it would be a Hazzard.

It is a war zone big difference.

Crimea is a war zone as well, and it is no secret that the US is giving targeting information to Ukraine to attack Russian targets.

As far as the transponder, military aircraft frequently turn it off.

While civilian flights must fly with their transponders on at all times, military flights are allowed to turn them off when flying in international air space as long as they show consideration to other flights.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sweden-russia-airplane/nato-says-russian-air-force-jets-posing-risk-to-aviation-in-baltic-idUSKBN0JT1HK20141215

Every onboard computer has already self-destructed. Even our Blue Force Trackers did that.

Not in international airspace unless under control of an awacs. Especially when aircraft has no radar to deconflict. Too dangerous unless the airspace is shut down. I guarantee you I have way more experience flying in international airspace and war zones then you.

This was over the black sea so no not a war zone.

1 Like

I remember that media coverage on how Trump was dragging us into a war with Iran. Now look at us nuclear saber rattling with Russia something previous admins avoided with the full backing of the media.

2 Likes

The red lines are somewhere? Right?

The pilots that downed the drone got medals today. Will that do it?

2 Likes

Of course not. We’re not going to war over a stupid drone.

Especially since, in a sense, it is a wash. The drone was probably gathering intelligence that was to be turned over to the Ukranians. In the same sense, I wouldn’t expect a declaration of war over Russia destroying a US provided M1 Abrams.

1 Like

Act of WAR!!

1 Like

It’s only an act of war if we treat it as such.

We aren’t, so it isn’t.

We can expect more of this. The reality is that modern visual sensors can see a lot farther than the 12 mile limit. And everyone, including the Russians, knows that we are passing battlefield intelligence in real time. I expect they will start engaging every drone they see in the zone.

War is hell.

If we stick our fingers on someone else’s plate, we should expect to get stabbed with a fork from time to time.

Not saying we shouldn’t be there in some capacity. I don’t have contribution to that question. Just saying that we have to expect some level of wartime contact with the level of engagement we have chosen there.

When you take the horrible out of war, it is horribly easy to go to war.

3 Likes

Probably will for another stupid reason.

Specially when they start proxy wars at arms length or at least promote them (at arms length)

1 Like

It is really screwed up, that is for sure.

Yep Drones make it way to easy to do that.

No, definitely not.