Robert Redford - "I feel out of place"

That’s not what I said at all.

Funny how trump gave the military a working budget that kept planes from falling out of the skies. Obama looked the other way. Oh but Obama made sure bin laden got a proper burial.

The citizenry is divided, and that only benefits those who are currently in power and disinclined to voluntarily surrender it. To my mind then, the question then becomes two part - one, is it possible for average citizens to overcome the plutocracy that dominates the government and drives policy for its benefit; and two, can the fringe on both sides of the political fence be convinced to drop the animosity and try to find ways to build consensus? Because at present it weakens them both.

True. My question what allowed the fringe on either side have control of the parties? The fringe have always been there.

The difference before President Obama was Presidential rhetoric. Can you give me an example of a President prior to Obama, from either side, singling out large groups of ordinary citizens and presenting them in a negative light? Let me give you an example and see if this really does go back prior to Obama?

“They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

Your turn…

dons conspiracy tin foil hat

The plutocracy allowed it, and further the plutocracy actively promotes it. It is much better served and protected when we’re squabbling amongst themselves than when we direct the rancor towards the system itself.

Donald is no destroyer of this system, he’s just an especially clownish and entertaining enabler and beneficiary of it. All he has to do is tweet, and the public’s attention is focused for weeks on it as we fight back in forth. Meanwhile the elites roll merrily along.

You’re old enough to have remembered the sixties, correct?

So to accomplish what you suggested, “we” have to go back 5 decades? If that’s true, surely you have to agree with me. Let me rephrase it though…Obama was the most divisive President in the last 5 decades.

Don’t play the fool.

Then be plain…yes, I remember the 60s…so what?

That’s a stronger argument, but I’d argue that the conditions that created the social division during the Obama years were gestated during Bush II.

Bush II and Cheney were so bad, they make Obama look much better. There’s no doubt about that IMO but President Obama was different in the divisive way I suggested. He did it over and over and over again. Would you like more examples? Just sayin…

For the sake of argument let’s say you’re right, and before Obama there was no president who ever employed rhetoric to such an extent in an effort to divide the nation. Is Donald then the right’s attempt to redress that, or their revenge for it?

Trump recognized the division very early on and has politically capitalized on it by dividing the nation even further. TDS is the coined name of emotional expression of this obvious division.

Agreed, and it works both ways - both his detractors and his loyalists are infected with TDS. It simply manifests differently in each.

I don’t disagree.

We’re all in agreement that Donald exploited and promoted social division for his own personal gain. What I’m asking is, why did Trumpists support his efforts? Was he truly considered a swing back to decency/diplomacy, was he regarded as a revenge vote (and we know the usual suspects here who fall into that camp), or did they regard Donald’s continued division of the nation as a necessary evil for the sake of gaining something greater?

…“political gain”. I want our borders secured. I want illegal immigration addressed. I do not want unfettered immigration. I want chain migration ended. I want immigrants better vetted. These and other agendas are what I want addressed. As Trump attempts to do so, the judicial branch is fighting him every step of the way. The case then goes to the SCOTUS and gets reinstated. Trump has exposed the lying media for all of us to see much more clearly. All of these things are wins for all of us both today and tomorrow.

1 Like

And that is where I am at as well. The disdain we see from the left when trump says America comes first. How is that suppose to make us believe Democrats want what is best for Americans? They throw up sanctuary cities, activists get in the faces of people trying to have dinner. Our vice president couldn’t attend a play with his family without some nut trying to give a political speech to him.

1 Like

I cant wait for you to be like minded with the legislative branch in November. You were like minded in 2010 with the Executive branch right?