Robert Redford - "I feel out of place"

Acting icon Robert Redford posted a statement on the Sundance Film Festival’s website yesterday:

While the statement is critical of the current political/social zeitgeist and not any one individual or party, it’s difficult not to come away with a sense that what Redford is addressing indirectly is the man who best embodies and exploits the worst of the times:

"For weeks I’ve watched with sadness as our civil servants have failed us, turning toward bigotry, mean-spiritedness, and mockery as the now-normal tools of the trade.

How can we expect the next generation to step up and serve, to be interested in public life, and to aspire to get involved when all we show them is how to spar, attack, and destroy each other?"

Despite the gloomy estimation of things as they stand, Redford ends on a hopeful note that people of different views can come together, and not be exploited by politicians who profit from division among the masses:

But I want to encourage you to dig deep for hope and civility right now—to try to make connections with people you disagree with, to be better than our politicians.

Redford will be summarily dismissed by some here as a Hollywood liberal, but in light of the divisiveness and rancor coming from all sides his message is impossible to ignore. The question for myself and others - does our current leadership (in the Oval Office and elsewhere) reflect and promote that hope and civility, or revel in quite the opposite?

No!

Not current, past or previous.

It does not serve their purpose.

Nope. Not by Trump, and neither by Schumer or Pelosi.

Chuck Schumer is the biggest ■■■■■■■ in the senate now that Harry Reid is gone.

I revel in the unification of good Americans that Trump has brought us. The divisiveness of the left is soon to be washed down the gutter from where it came.

1 Like

Define “good” Americans.

Is it possible to get past all these corrupt individuals, or does the system itself foster them, and make it impossible for decent individuals to lead?

Let’s start with people who can live outside sanctuary cities and not be deported for starters.

1 Like

I think the post already did that. It the people who are unified and not divisive.

By unified… like minded with the legislative branch of our government, like minded with the executive branch, and agreeable with the makeup of the judicial branch.

The unhappy malcontents don’t fit that description .

1 Like

You don’t sound unified .

Did you seek out that kind of unity during the Obama administration?

I’m guessing you didn’t seek out that kind of unity during the Obama administration.

Whataboutism ? Sheesh, dude. You really hit rock bottom.

Pot? Kettle? Sheesh, dude, You really are unoriginal.

1 Like

So good Americans are defined as people who agree with you. Well at least we know that you’re a shining part of the problem.

Sure seemed like there were a lot of riots during his administration.

1 Like

If “we” only recognize two sides of a coin, keep in mind that for 8 years, one side had to endure the other side they didn’t recognize as their own? How was the attitude of the whole during that time? The side that was on the losing end of politics, how did they respond? Now the pendulum has swung and it’s the reverse. How is the attitude of the whole now? How is the side on the losing end of politics responding? I think there’s a problem but when you’re looking for it…start with the man in the mirror. More than likely, that’s the biggest problem?

On another note, I do not like our country divided but I also do not believe “we” were heading in the right direction. I also do not believe that Trump is the right guy to represent me and my values that I believe provide a pathway to a meaningful, satisfying and productive life. I just was of the opinion he’d accomplish more of what I believe than the others. In that light, Iooking back, I made the right decision. Trump has exposed a political machine that was made up of departments not intended to be political…all the way to a press that’s supposed to be free. Now…that corrupt entity is fighting back, it’s ugly and they have met their match with Trump. This is the turmoil being described by Redford but he’s only looking at us little guys. Recognize the big forces at odds with each other. That’s the real battle of the big vs the little. I see the current battle as returning big government back to the hands of “we the people” and although I do not like the aftermath, I realize the importance of the battle for the future of our country.

2 Likes

It’s the Golden rule brother. Those with the gold make all the rules.

The biggest problem with Trump is he has normalized everything that we detest in politicians. Future Presidents will feel emboldened to engage in nepotism in the most blatant ways, they will have no issue in having their financial affairs and their role of President being intermingled. They will use the office of President to humiliate and belittle people. Character will no longer matter. The mantra will be what I did as a private citizen has zero bearing on how I will be as President which in reality there is direct correlation. And lets not forget how he has validated all the bigots and racists.

Even post Trump, things will get a lot worse before they get any better

2 Likes

yep. this is very true.

Trump and his supporters - particularly those in teh media - are extremely divisive.

I hope not. I’m trying to have faith that there are more decent people in this country than there are trumpers. It’s a faith that’s fading fast though.