Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) is filling children's hospitals

did we wear masks before covid to protect from rsv?
did rsv hospitalizations fill pediatric icu’s before covid?

if wearing masks “protected” kids from diseases like rsv, which were not much of a threat before covid has led to them becoming more dangerous, and possibly developing new variants themselves if they spread enough, in what way did putting a mask on a kid that had little to fear from covid to begin with, “protect them”?

masking kids was a mistake from the beginning.

Yes, I have no doubt that the hospitals know whether children have COVID or RSV.

The question is whether stories in the national news outlets bother to mention RSV when they discuss the number of children in hospitals.

Do they end up leaving a false impression that COVID is the only factor? That appears to be the case for many national news stories.

The record for pediatric flu deaths in a year is 2017-18 when there were 188.

That’s the record.

Before the Delta wave which seems to be hitting children harder, there were 350 pediatric deaths from COVID.

So…twice as many as the flu RECORD.

This guy is blind to the issue. 18% of all cases are in kids. And this number is increasing.

Such a clever retort. Is that all you go. I don’t think you could find a quote or statement from Biden where he said he’d cure all of this. GO ahead…I dare ya! Find it.

I’m not the only person who knows stuff.

I’m saying you are apparently unwilling to learn and know stuff, but instead imagine would like to imagine that everything is a conspiracy.

How about YOU prove you are actually willing to learn?

no, there were not 350 deaths “from” covid.

Data on pediatric COVID-19 deaths in US remains unclear | Fox News.

further, its been 18 months, not a year.

2 Likes

what percentage of those cases develop into serious illness and what percentage are just sniffles?

I compared to a record flu year.

You can continue to believe what you want…350 or so is the number most of the data agrees on.

It’s rare…but less rare than flu deaths in kids, and Delta is putting a lot of kids, relatively speaking, in the hospital now.

you compared it to whatever suited your narrative

deaths from flu for 0 to 18 yo’s for 2018/19 flu season is 477

and 350 is the uncertain number being reported for the entire 18 months

No you are not the only person who knows stuff. You are the only person who claims to know stufff and tells others they don’t. How do I prove I can learn? I haven’t made any claims unlike you and you are unwilling to provide the proof that you require others. I haven’t provided a claim precisely because I am still learning about it. I also know things are changing and we don’t know everything, unlike you I don’t act like I know everything and make a jackass out of myself. What conspiracy theory have I bought into.? Link to it, prove your your assumption I am not willing to learn.

RSV was first identified in the 1950s. It did not arrive with COVID 19. It appears there is a delay to its normal spread due to kids wearing masks & staying indoors more during the cold weather months, when it normally runs its course.

Why exactly would news outlets mention an old virus with a predictable time of year spread?

Having worked health care, it’s rare I even see kids older than two tested for it.

Kids are nature’s germ vectors. That’s hardly news.

Here’s RSV:

Here’s COVID-19:

Two different tests, two different viruses. Sometimes tests are performed to rule out a condition and that physician knows the odds are against his/her patient have it, but to reduce liability and simply rule it out, the test is run.

I doubt diagnoses like the two respiratory viruses in this thread are made without submitting patients to testing.

The only claim I made, which can be easily researched, and which Janet Miller provided anyway, is that RSV is an old virus, impacts a much narrower population than COVID, and the only thing unusual about this is that it’s peaking in summer instead of winter when it usually does.

Janet even provided a plausible explanation as to why that might be,

On the other hand, you and the OPer seem to be intimating that once again there’s some type of conspiracy going on, and the proof of this is that the RSV outbreak “isn’t being reported on as much as COVID”.

Which is just silly.

I don’t throw out the claim “people don’t know how stuff works” lightly.

I only throw it out when people make claims that provide strong evidence they don’t know how stuff works.

I have used it mostly in two areas…on the claims made about how the Presidential election was stolen (the bulk of claims are simply not possible to be true given how the election processes work) and claims about the vaccine (based on an obvious shortcoming in being able to evaluate math and statistics).

Other areas where I don’t know as much I would never make such a claim, or on those cases where I did, the charge that I didn’t know how things worked was thrown back at me…many times rightfully so.

2 Likes

delay? do you think these things are on a timer? who said it arrived with covid?

That is quit the diarrhea of the mouth to try and defend your condescending posts and your accusations of me that you have literally no proof of.

She never implied timers. Nice strawman though. The conditions that make RSV spread through a population usually happen at around the same time every year. This year is different for a number of reasons. The RSV spike normally occurs in November. This year it was in June.

At the VPK that runs on the floor below the school I teach at they usually has outbreaks in September after the school year has been rolling for about a month. This year it was bad enough in June that they closed the VPK for a week.

Article doesn’t mention the health of the 13 year old girl prior to contracting Covid. It’s no secret children carry and transmit the virus asymptomatically. There are plenty of documented cases of children contracting COVID-19 passing away but they have compromised immune systems or other severe health problems.

Will get back later with a link. Gotta go to work.

I just love how the leftist press implies the young woman died in the absence of a mask mandate.

Does the absence of a mandate mean her parents couldn’t buy her one or a box of masks at the local supermarket?

I’m sure before too long these ■■■■■ are going to imply women become “unintentionally” pregnant because there’s no mandate to use birth control.

They snidely imply the average person is too stupid to take precautions on his/her own.