Reperations questions

That is a question that will not able to be ignored for long. The dems need to have a plan ready prior to their first debate. Unless they suspect that their media allies won’t ask the question. Which is entirely possible.

Even though I could probably receive reparations I’m opposed to it.

It implies that the nation and by extension her people are guilty of a crime.

The generation that fought the civil war on the Confederate side were guilty as sin. And frankly had I been in charge every slave owner would have had their land confiscated and given to the newly freed slaves. That would have been justice and would righted many of the wrongs.

But now? Generations removed from the event? No. No one is guilty of it anymore. The last slaves and slavers died during the early 20th century.

Now I would be supportive of reparations for black men and women who lived through Jim Crowe. Because many of them are still alive.

This, to me, is even harder. This only solves “slaves aren’t alive anymore” issue by inserting people who are alive.

But like slavery reparations… they will wait it out until the argument shift to “people under Jim Crow are no longer alive”

People born in 1964 are now 55. They are about 10-20 years from death

Arguing against it would sound more like rational human beings.

No one has yet to offer a rational explination for who should pay, nor why.

1 Like

Yes we have… you just don’t like the answer.

Unless you believe the US doesn’t owe slaves, or their ancestors, a penny. Which is the belief I hope all republicans are forced to adopt.

Yes, yes I do live in America and I still pay federal, state and local taxes. I contribute my share to social security and Medicare. I believe my freedom, school for my children and grandchildren, police and fire protection, roads, clean water, public recreation etc. etc all comes with a cost that I am willing to share.
But providing those whose ancestors may have been wrongfully brought to America and forced into slave labor with some sort of compensation disguised as a “tax” I have to pay? Sorry, I’ll never be convinced. Why not take it up with decendants of plantation owners and slavers?

May have? Interesting perspective…

One of the side effects of Obama bombing Libya into chaos for no reason is the return of slavery there… We may owe them reparations…

Are you perhaps suggesting ones skin color is verification of slave ancestry?
According to the professionals 3% of my DNA comes from Africa. Where do I sign up for a check?

I never said all black people should get reparations… SLAVE Descendants

So do only white Republicans have to pay reparations, or do "White Democrats"
**have to also? lol. **

and if someone was 1,024th Black, but they had an ancestor that owned a slave
would they still need to Pay Reparations? Because they’re black also. lol.

Amazing.

Japanese Americans it was paid directly to the survivors. Tuskegee paid to survivors directly. Tuskegee descendents may be suing but it is them suing. Slavery is more than 150 years ago with no slaves from that era alive. Many generations removed, the slave descendents deserve equal opportunity, that is it.

We have precedence in descendants being paid damages…Rosewood.

“…$500,000 to reimburse descendants of people who lost property in Rosewood.”

There is no plan other than, “You’d better vote for us, or you won’t get XYZ!”

They’re not gonna get it anyway.

Who would be responsible for tracing the ancestry of nearly 40 million people? Would we create another government agency to determine eligibility?

This is a very quick two minute read. Money or no money. These countries have forgiven themselves for what they did and moved on. Maybe we should do the same?

I’ve never heard of this one, but it still does not match the slavery thing. First it was $2 million total, and those who were given 1.5 million was divided between 9 survivors. People had houses that were burned down, and people were run out of town. Even if it was 70 years later, it was still children who were living in the houses of the people when the white rampage happened and houses were burned & looted and they were run out of their houses. It was they who got the vast majority of money. That is where most money went. Florida decided to give way less to direct sons and daughters of those who had their parents property burned, stolen, is Florida, it ain’t the US federal government and is not parallel. It is silly, people who are slave descendents, just deserve equal opportunity, that is it.

Africa slavery still goes on. The last country to officially outlaw slavery was Mauritania, Muslims own black slave. officially 1981 but it still goes on. Actually people got put in jail for being against slavery. The date on this is 2016.

SERVITUDE

The last country to abolish slavery is jailing its anti-slavery activists

By Abdi Latif DahirAugust 22, 2016

Thirteen anti-slavery campaigners were sentenced for up to 15 years in prison in Mauritania last week, for their role in a protest aimed at denouncing the practice of slavery in the country. The government tribunal found members of the Initiative for the Resurgence of the Abolitionist Movement (IRA) guilty of various counts, including attacks against the government, armed assembly and membership of an unrecognized organization.

Mauritania is the world’s last country to abolish slavery, and the country didn’t make slavery a crime until 2007. The practice reportedly affects up to 20% of the country’s 3.5 million population (pdf, p. 258), most of them from the Haratin ethnic group.

Feel free to start a ■■■■■■■ Go Fund Me acxcount if it will assuage your white guilt there champ.