Reperations questions

I had to look that up because I don’t know everything.

But one thing from the headlines jumped out, they paid the survivors.

It isn’t necessarily how long a time has passed but do you have a case and do you have Standing.

This was, incidentally, why back in the 80s and 90s a whole slew of cases regarding the Holocaust were brought: the survivors had to be the ones bringing them. Their kids couldn’t.

Agreed, but did you see my excerpt above where it mentioned reimbursing descendants for lost property?

Pretty much. If you are looking for someone to defend the republicans, you chose the wrong man.

It’s just a bad idea for several reasons.

It’ll never happen.

1 Like

That’s the thing about these sorts of cases.

The survivors have to BRING the cases. Once a case is brought it may proceed even if they die.

That said, giving an award to those whose forebears didn’t participate in the case probably didn’t happen. Or at least it shouldn’t have happened.

Saying someone sucks less isn’t much of a defense.

That’s cool. Because it’s not a defense. It’s more of an inconvenient truth.

I think that deep down everybody knows this is all for show. Dems are always looking for a racial issue to exploit. But, the idea is as dead as President Filmore.

If the financing of reparations were not an issue, in some magical way, would you still oppose reparations?

What I’m wondering is for those who oppose it, is that opposition rooted in problems associated with the financial side or do they just feel reparations for slavery are not warranted (perhaps from a time point of view or something else)

I’m opposed. I don’t owe anybody any money.

My family from Massachusetts lost young men fighting the civil war … Do we get money for losing them?

Are you equating fighting a war to being enslaved for generations?

No… But how much did we lose by not having them work for the family?

The only reason the dems are suddenly talking about reparations again is the Blexit movement is scaring them…

Nobody in the U.S. has been enslaved for generations. To find a slave, you need to seek out a 100 plus year old grave and Leave money there. There is nobody alive who was a slave for generations.

Slavery existed for generations. I probably should have been more clear in my writing. Even after slavery was outlawed, I think we can agree it’s lingering effects still adversely effected African-Americans for quite some time.

If after the Civil War the government made a real effort to provide for equal oppurtunity… then I would be opposed.

But we aren’t even a generation removed from systematic suppression of access to the same wealth building government financial aid that built the white middle class in the mid 20th century… so I would agree that there is a very valid complaint.

There is no place any African American would rather be than right here. The greatest land of opportunity they will ever see. Nobody is trying to escape America. Yet millions are trying to get in. What’s that tell you?They are lucky to be here. As are you and me! I owe nothing. But you are free to pay if you chose.

I don’t, at the moment, have an answer to that question. That’s something that would have to be studied out. I’m not opposed to the concept, but the logistics are complicated for sure.

Woven throughout OT law is the concept of restitution for crimes committed. The question is, can what applied to the individual broaden out to the state/institution? I’d have to look for specific examples at the level of the state, but I think it’s valid to broaden the concept.

As far as your taxes go, I asked if you would have a problem if your taxes didn’t go up. Would you?