Rep. Matt Gaetz introduces His Son

Rescued?..He was dating his sister. Not like he took the kid in off the streets.

Six years. He was dating the kid’s sister. The kid still had his older sister. He wasn’t a waif on the street. The kid went to live with bio dad too during those six years.

1 Like

Right, no father, no mother, grandma has died and he takes the boy in. Rescued is the appropriate word whether you like it or not.

He has a father…see Lucys post.

Yet the father has been absent much if not most of his life particularly when he was most needed when Nestor’s mom died.

1 Like

From the referenced article.

"When that kid lost his mom, Matt was dating his sister and he stepped up. Plain and simple. "

Don’t like it, start a politically based investigation. If you (meaning whoever starts such an investigation) don’t find what you hoipe to find, expect to have it backfire.

1 Like

maybe the boy is pregnant and Matt wants to ease into the ramifications.

Yeah , we covered it

How could he do his homework when this wasn’t public knowledge?

I sure the hell knew nothing about this and neither did you.

Allan

2 Likes

Is this before or after you got your MS in biology?

12 Likes

Come on - be real for a minute.

If AOC suddenly announced she had adopted a 17 yo cuban boy 6 years ago, you would find it odd.

4 Likes

I must have missed it. Would you mind repeating it?

1. Is the kid legally Geatz’s son?

2. If so, why wouldn’t Geatz just say at the hearing ‘you may not know this but I am raising a boy of color, so I am familiar with some of these concerns’.

3. Why did geatz call his son ‘interns’ and '…what was the other one…“helper” in official communications?

4. When did he adopt him?

1 Like

Did he live with Geatz?

How can Geatz be his father if he has a biological father?

By bringing him into a political discussion Gaetz has certsinly made it everyones business.

He could have taken the high road and kept his “son” and his relationship secret but no he chose to announce it to the world for political reasons.

Just like when political candidates campaign with their families as a prop. Then bitch and cry when their families become of interest.

4 Likes

I find Gaetz loathsome, I never said anything different.

But it is comforting, to me, that even a major jerk like Gaetz can do something compassionate and caring like taking care of this kid.

Maybe that argument triggered him, made him want to finally come out and talk about the son he loves, and that he isn’t a racist. Who knows?

Doing something right should be celebrated, especially from folks you wouldn’t expect it from. Maybe if they know this, they might want to continue doing good things instead of awful things.

I dunno, I cannot fault this guy for doing something noble. If it turns out to be something sinister I will be the first to fault this guy but for the time being, good on him.

6 Likes

Exactly. This nailed it!

What were the words Richmond used?

He was talking specifically about black children. He makes that very, very clear. Gaetz tried to use this as a way to pretend indignation even though he does not understand what Richmond was saying about black children. Gaetz has not raised a black child in America. He was out of line here. And when it blew up on him, he attempted to use this boy who has been living with him as a cudgel on others. That is condemnable in my view.

4 Likes

+1 for Rep Richmond. Impressive.

3 Likes