Rep. Matt Gaetz introduces His Son

This has been dodged multiple times in this thread.

1 Like

I genuinely think it is great that Gaetz stepped forward and allowed the teenage brother of his girlfriend at the time stay at his home. It is respectable when any man steps forward to help in caring for a child, and it does sound as if Nestor is a fine young man, from what little we know of him. That is all well and good.

But just because Gaetz allowed the kid to split time for a handful of years between his house, his biological father’s house, and his sister’s house as a teenager, it does NOT give him the type of insight that Richmond was talking about when it comes to raising a black child in America and the additional risks they face from the police as a result of them being black. And Gaetz knows it as well.

9 Likes

I understand.

1 Like

bingo

6 Likes

Conscious bias. It’s another way for the left to accuse the right of racism. At the same time, he’s also saying that if it’s conscious bias, it’s because the right doesn’t have any black skin in the game, so how would they know. Gaetz was right to challenge him on such outlandish remarks. Our elected representatives are there to serve the people, not just certain colors of people, all of them.

1 Like

I believe that you, like Gaetz, are missing the thrust of his argument and are held up on this part. Richmond acknowledged there are Republican Congressmen on the committee that have black grandchildren. But he went further to show that without having actually raised a black child in America, then it is impossible to understand what it is like for those who have. And that has resulted in the unconscious bias he referenced. He specifically said he would like to assume it is unconscious, rather than conscious bias. Are you saying his assumption is wrong?

2 Likes

It’s not what was done, it’s who did it.

I’m saying he slipped that in there, consciously.

2 Likes

I think that is a fair point as well. I can see that perspective for sure.

1 Like

Yup.

I had a classmate whose nephew was 5 years older than he was.

Did he refer to his nephew as his “son” or as his “helper?”

If during some congressional hearing, AOC brought up that she had been “raising”, say, a “son/daughter” who was trans/gay/queer/bi from the age of 12 as a boast that she “gets it”," I feel like the comments about her and the child she “raised” would be treated a little differently by those saying there is “no issue” with this Gaetz here.

3 Likes

And by libs.

You don’t think those here calling out Gaetz for his stunt during the hearing would question a 20-something unmarried woman “adopting” a child, not calling the “child” her child for years, and then lashing out at someone who she believed was questioning her woke cred?

AOC and Gaetz are both show clowns. Some of us call them both out, and some reflexively rush to their defense out of party loyalty.

No, I don’t. In fact I know they wouldn’t.

1 Like

That is an opinion state on a forum.

Of course it is.

Didn’t sound that way:

Opinion acknowledged.

Everything everyone posts here is an opinion.

wrong

1 Like