Recession? Who says?

Yes, claiming better employment numbers because people are forced to work two or three jobs to put food on the table is hardly an indicator of a great economy.

I expect that the Biden administration will have some major revisions to their economic figures soon after the election. Only then will they admit that the economy has been in a recession since March and unemployment has been getting worse.

I would not be surprised to see a revision coming out after the election that runs something like this:

"Revised figures show that the economy has actually really been in a recession with rising unemployment since March. Our bad.

"Of course the massively revised figures mean that we can claim we are now entering a recovery! Yay!

“If you ask how we can have a recovery for a recession that we supposedly never had, you must be pawn of Putin.”

That’s the point. Progressive Democrats are using taxpayer money to enrich their donors and deliberately crash the economy. There’s no actual benefit to the American citizen for any “climate” bill, it’s solely for Democrats to increase their power - especially now that China is no longer even discussing climate change policy with us.

1 Like

A big push toward becoming Venezuela.

This doesn’t look good:

2 Likes

Whatever happened to becoming Cuba?

But what about the “thousands of jobs created”??

It’s clearly a bit of a mix right now with both positive and negative data.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-job-growth-beats-expectations-unemployment-rate-fall-35-2022-08-05/

Some very odd data coming out:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/us-jobless-claims-rise-again-near-highest-since-november/ar-AA10yaEU?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=dd1da5114a244455fdca55bd7cb8592d

Have we got back to pre-covid levels yet? If not, we are not creating jobs.

1 Like

The people who have returned to their jobs after being needlessly laid off because of the ChiCom virus are not despite what ‘Ol Folksy Joe keeps claiming, “new jobs”.

1 Like

Yes

GDP is shrinking, and payrolls are increasing.
By definition, that means worker productivity is shrinking.
In fact, productivity is shrinking at a VERY rapid rate.
Usually the two run rough tandem when they run in opposite directions, it’s really kind of scary.

Anyway, right now worker productivity is so low the employment picture is clearly melting.
The lag time varies but the direction is inevitable.

1 Like

On the (stock) investment front:
The market’s current “bear market rally” has been big enough, long enough that technically we appear to be in the beginnings of a bull market. (Define “recession.” Define “bull market.” etc.)

I believe that in a big picture sense, the market goes bull-bear-bull- bear.
Instead it goes bull-flat-bull-flat. Bear markets are things that occur as part of a “lost decade.”

“Lost decades” have compromised

Good luck. Make money.

People with 2nd and 3rd jobs i am hearing.

I hear we are still 3 or 4 million short of pre-covid levels.

1 Like

I’m sure there are buckets of water out there showing some skewed sense of actual gains. It’s right before midterms, after all. :wink:

2 Likes

They work with crooked pencils when need be.

2 Likes

I assume you have sold all your short positions? :wink:

Yes, but I could have timed it better,

1 Like

Where are you on the potential of a recession front?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/report-u-s-economy-slowing-could-face-recession-by-end-of-year/ar-AA10NU3Q?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=28b28f43a0734c738de12571d92bf946