Rasmussen: Florida Governor: Gillum (D) 48%, DeSantis (R) 42%

I am hoping and praying that Florence is handled well by FEMA, for obvious reasons. I want my fellow brothers and sisters safe and protected in their time of need.

My curiosity lies in whether Trump can stay on message and benefit politically from a successful Federal response, or if the recent turn of events with Manafort cooperating on the same day it is revealed that Cohen is also cooperating with Mueller will throw him off of message.

Such wild times we are living in here.

He’s been popular up until recently. We are in a genuine environmental crisis with the toxic algae situation.

I saw a headline that I now wish I had read the article about FEMA and Florence and now I might have to look for it. It was something along the lines of them admitting they weren’t really ready for it.

Which may turn into an economic issue as well. I know it is anecdotal, but my daughter and her family decided to cancel a planned vacation to FL over the summer because of the algae issue. They went on a Disney Cruise instead. I cannot imagine them being the only ones who have reevaluated whether or not to vacation in FL, which means a decline in the tourist industry, which I know is a huge revenue generator for the State.

Oh wow…I hope that is not the case. Or if so, that it does not cause any issues. If you find it, please share.

The price if sugar in the U.S. is about double it’s actual value and has been for decades. It’s ridiculous.

Thanks for the link. Not that I can vote for him, but I’ll take a look at it. I checked his website and while he advocates for higher starting wages for teachers, more funding for schools and invest in more technical/vocational education.

Yes, he claims that the tax hike on the “wealthiest” corporations will result in a savings for smaller companies. Sadly they don’t provide a more detailed analysis of how this would work.

Not sure that Medicare for all is the solution, however we have to do something about the cost of health care in this country. The current situation is not working, and the previous wasn’t either.

I don’t remember exactly what the numbers are, but there was a poll in which quite a few Floridians didn’t even know who Nelson was. And he’s been their Senator for a long time. I’m sure almost everyone knows Marco rubio.

It seems more than anecdotal to me. Real estate agents are getting slow, new construction is slowing down which affects me, tourism is down, seaside restaurants are hurting in the areas worst hit. The pain is starting to set in for real now and over the last few months.

1 Like

Well unfortunately Rs don’t have a better solution for health care. While I don’t agree with Medicare for all, the status quo isn’t acceptable either. So I agree the current situation isn’t working.

Do either of the candidates have any real plans that they discuss on how they will address these issues? Or is there even a good solution at this point? I admit to being less than well versed on this topic.

I found it and it was strictly last year’s hurricanes, my mistake. I thought it mentioned Florence too.

1 Like

The solutions are very long term, so all we get are generalities, but they both seem to understand the situation regarding the water issues.

That I did not know and I find it funny. They know who he is now, he’s been all over the television lately.

Algae crisis should not have any effect on a decision to visit central Florida, at least by the typical first time visitor.

These-Florida-maps-show-where-red-tide-blue-green-algae-are-the-worst-2

As shown on the map, the southwest coast is primarily effected.

Most Florida vacationers, at least first time visitors, arrive in Orlando, visit the attractions and the Space Center and more typically the unaffected EAST coast beaches. If you want to go to the Gulf Coast, just go to the beaches of Pasco County, or even Clearwater Beach in Pinellas County and you would miss any algae activity.

Now, obviously it would effect plans to go to Fort Myers and other nearby destinations, but it shouldn’t effect most Florida vistors.

Yes. I happen to live right in the center of all those red dots and tourism and sport fishing is like a third of our economy or something, it’s huge. The canals on the lower east coast are pretty bad as well, but the beaches are much better as they don’t get the red tide over there which is being fed by the crap coming out of the Caloosahatchie river near here.

I’ve visited Florida 3 times. My favorite places are Naples and Venice. Loved them both.

Ever since my daughter was young we vacationed in Anna Maria Island. Once she was old enough to have her own family, she continued the tradition. We’ve all been across the majority of the state. But that is where our heart lies when it comes to making family vacation memories. This was her first summer to not visit this area in about a decade.

1 Like

My favorite two beaches are Venice and another smaller one just to the south, both about half an hour drive for me. Always plenty of space to spread out. You can have a thousand square feet of beach to yourself if you just walk maybe two hundred yards.

This maybe?