Rasmussen: Florida Governor: Gillum (D) 48%, DeSantis (R) 42%

Gee, Nebraska. Could this be a poster sitting on his elite, high horse, looking down others while spewing talking points?

1 Like

I have lovely memories of visiting Florida with family and hope to get back there some time. The entire state is lovely, but the Gulf coast and especially those two cities were especially favorites for us.

1 Like

Frothing in his arrogance even. :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve been to Miami, which was a very lively and fun city. I’ve spent time in St. Petersburg, whose white sand beaches are amazing. I’ve been to Orlando more than once, which is one time too many. Never experienced humidity like that before. I’d love to see the east coast of Florida. One day, hopefully.

St Pete is awesome. Loved that city. While there we visited the Georgia sea islands, which were also lovely to see, but we skipped Savanaugh, which was a mistake. So I hope to get back that way some time.

1 Like

Central Florida and portions of south Florida have two distinct seasons. The wet season and dry season.

You REALLY want to avoid Florida at all costs during the wet season, but due to school vacation constraints, that is precisely when most people are forced to visit.

The wet season usually transitions in from mid May to mid June. When Florida is in the wet season, daily low temperatures tend to be 72 to 78, and humidity is oppressive 24 hours a day. Plus you get the popup thunderstorms driven by the sea breezes.

Mid to late October the first synaptic cold front passes through and the wet season is broken and the dry season begins, usually very abruptly. Humidity is MUCH lower, daily LOW temperatures usually do not exceed 68 degrees. Much more pleasant to visit.

Best time to visit Florida is between November and March.

1 Like

You might not recognize Naples, it has been growing tremendously, but Venice still has that small town feel and is quite nice.

Yes, I’m sure it is quite different now. Last time I was in Florida was quite a few years ago. Now that I live in the Pacific Northwest, holidays tend to be closer to home.

St Pete has been undergoing a renaissance in the truest sense of the word, it’s amazing. Expensive, but amazing. You can walk for like fifty blocks of shops and unique restaurants and boutiques and galleries and whatnot. The music scene and nightlife is vibrant too.

I thought it was an amazing place. Love the history there too. i’m sure it would be a great place to live, although my first choice would still be the Gulf.

If I was about thirty or forty miles north of where I live now I would probably be working on Anna Maria Island, perhaps permanently. I had my foot in the door doing major renovations and even total gut jobs on island homes, but it’s just too far away.

1 Like

I don’t know that much about Florida’s Governor race this year, but Rick Scott has a pretty good chance of winning the Senate race there. Governor Scott is reasonable popular among many of the Puerto Ricans in his state. Hillary got about 72% of the vote among the Puerto Ricans in Florida, but she still lost that state to Trump.

I had nothing I could add to that thread that WR hadn’t already done for me. I know when I"m beat.

1 Like

And the results might just surprise you.

its not even close to the same thing

As a Puerto Rican residing in FL, I can say the following:

A) Both Gillum and DeSantis kinda suck. However, DeSantis is making the mistake of presenting himself as a Trumpist rather than a traditional conservative. Gillum is very beatable, and way too far to the left of your average Floridian. Still, he has a friendlier, softer image that appeals to people who are horrified by Trumpist rhetoric.

B) Puerto Ricans like Rick Scott, because although he is a Trump supporter, he is not a Trumpist. He has been very friendly with Hispanics in the state and was very supportive of Puerto Ricans in the island and here after María. The Puerto Rican government likes him and is supporting him. Bill Nelson is, for most Hispanics and particularly for Puerto Ricans, a total unknown.

So, it is hard to predict who will win the governorship, but I can tell you that Scott will beat Nelson in a close one.

I have been overseas (lots of beach but no water lol) almost constantly for last 18 months and was so looking forward to getting home and getting some fishing in. I live in Port Charlotte area. It sucks.

Thousands of dead snook have been removed from local beaches, along with everything else that swims. Ten months now of red tide and there isn’t much doubt anymore that water from Lake O is feeding it. There much more of course, you must be hearing about it.

Yea my wife has been telling me. Seemed up until a couple of weeks ago Charlotte harbor was being spared. But that SW wind starting to push everything in according to her.