Preferred Gender Pronouns from An Early Age

Not the same type of respect. Respect as in

deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment

What point are you attempting to make there?

Here’s a question.

So what if it’s just a phase?

Why not call kids by what they want to be called?

If it’s just a phase, they’ll grow out of it. That’s how phases work.

When I was a kid, when my little brother was 4 or 5, he decided he hated his first name - and insisted that everyone call him by his middle name. So for six months, we all called him by his middle name. My parents, his teachers, his friends and his friend’s parents - everyone called him by his middle name.

One day, he grew out of it. It was over, and everything went back to normal. The only evidence it ever happened is a couple pieces of kindergarten art with his middle name signed to it.

That’s a good question.

I’m going under the assumption that the teenager grew up in the “average” home where gender identity wasn’t really discussed. But perhaps over the years they stopped feeling comfortable in their own body and developed a desire to transition to the opposing gender. Or are confused as hell about it.

I don’t get the nuances of it all. To me, a dude is a dude and a chick is a chick and it’s based on your junk. But I admit that my view isn’t the view of everyone else.

Maybe there isn’t a right or wrong answer to this. Only degrees.

It doesn’t strike you as the least bit odd that all of the sudden there’s been an explosion of these cases in the past few years? What changed?

All I know is that it was not much of an issue prior to the Internet and ubiquitous smart phones.

Does someone have a right to be called by the gender of their choice?

See, that’s where all of this stuff gets really nuanced and confusing. And those of us who have questions about all of it shouldn’t be vilified for making honest mistakes in misidentifying someone. Which working in the public for the last 10 years, I’ve had run ins with.

Must be something in the water …

Of course not. Just as a black person doesn’t have a general “right” to not be called the n-word.

It’s not about rights, it’s about courtesy.

When it comes to public schools, I would argue that they should in fact be legally obligated to treat their students with respect and courtesy.

Could be sub-societal changes. The internet gave people new routes to communicate and explore with like minded individual.

When I was a kid, which was in the mid to late 90s, I don’t think I ever heard anything about people transitioning to other genders. I knew about the homosexual community and the “drag queen.” Not that I really knew the details; I was raised in a southern Protestant household so these things weren’t approved of and generally weren’t spoken of.

But in school we already knew about the “fruity” kids. Or that they had “sugar in their tanks.” That was already a thing. And in many cases, they came out as gay by the time we got in high school. Some even in middle school.

I always felt bad for them because they usually got bullied something fierce. But almost everyone got bullied in middle school and high school for one reason or another. Even the bullies got bullied. But the “gay” kids got it worse than anyone else.

Not to say there aren’t bad faith actors out there - because there always are, no matter the context - but no one is worried about honest mistakes.

It’s usually pretty easy for people to tell the difference between malice and mistake.

I have a friend from high school who started transitioning a few years ago, and every now and then I still slip up and answer the phone with “Hey man!” when I see her number pop up on my caller ID. Mistakes happen.

I’m probably about the same age as you, but I didn’t have close to the same experience you had.

My grandparents, who raised me, are extremely religious to this day. Hardcore Protestant people. So I was mostly sheltered. I grew up watching old 50s and 60s westerns and the nightly news. The music was bluegrass gospel music. It was only at my mom’s house that I got to really watch tv freely and listen to popular music. And I didn’t stay with her often; she was too career driven to pay me much attention.

Middle school was where I really started noticing how different everyone really is from each other. And I started making friends and getting to hang out with them outside of school. It’s also when I got my sailor’s mouth. I’ve cussed like a sailor since I was in sixth grade, although I’ve never cussed in front of them. Out of respect.

Yeah, that’s pretty the opposite of how I was raised.

My whole family - parents, grandparents, etc - are/were Jewish/atheist artists and intellectuals. I knew and understood my parents gay and trans friends long before I understood how sex worked.

A friend’s child is now non-binary, and I still slip up and forget to use “they.” I question many things about transgender issues, but there’s never a reason to openly disrespect people.

1 Like

One could say that by chiding you for “slipping up” and using a gender specific pronoun demonstrates a lack of respect for you by them.

That’s all this is about.

It’s ok to have questions, it’s an incredibly complicated topic. That doesn’t foreclose courtesy and respect.

Who says he was “chided”?

Nobody. But it happens more frequently than you might like to think. It happened to me at my daughter’s wedding by one of her androgynous friends during the reception. Very rude.

When I was in my early 20s I never thought I’d be saying, thank god I’m 53. But hey, maybe every generation says that when they grow older. Either that or they buy a motorcycle. But for me, when the rules and or legislation starts to cater to the freak show, I’m out.

1 Like