Police just arrested 57 white supremacists in huge criminal bust

Pennsylvania… in the same county where Thaddeus Stevens and John Brown advocated for or planned to free the slaves. The place where I grew up has a strong abolition heritage…in addition to Brown and Stevens, there were Pennsylvania Dutch farmers who did their own own work and did not believe in slavery, underground railroad safe houses, etc. The confederates were no friends of the area. Gettysburg is close to where I grew up and went to school. So is Chambersburg, burned to the ground by Confederates… twice. I dont really like southerners very much. Had rednecks throw beer cans at me from pickup trucks with confed flags and shotguns in the back when I was hitch hiking through there.

I know… you just can’t believe that anyone but a die hard white supremacist would take my position. But you have debated me before. You know that emotion- however strong on my part - does not degrade my objectivity and grasp of the facts. Sorry you had to be taught that lesson again here.

Just curious, that’s all.

However your objectivity and grasp of the facts is extremely doubtful. Being born and raised in Pennsylvania does not make you immune to the lies told, often but not exclusively in the south, that you’ve so readily adopted as your own view. Perhaps it appeals to your contrarian nature.

It divided the states. Tennessee had a lot of people fight on the union side, whole regiments. For example.

It wasn’t straight along state lines.

A lot of jury nullification too.

you asked where I went to primary school. I told you…and your hypothesis went… flop. Now you seem to imply that even since that time I may have adopted southern views. I’ve lived in New York for the past 20 years. Whoops… flopped again.

Try Occam for a change. I’m simply right.

No it isn’t and it definitely wasn’t then. You don’t know your history. Was Vermont treason?

5 counties in your own state voted to secede in 1980.

you must have voted for Trump. I mean… you are voting age. Right? And he got elected? Right?

Yes. As a confederacy of seceded states, not as members of the United States.

Tennessee was the exception, not the rule.

Ironically a handful of counties in eastern Tennessee tried to secede from Tennessee and remain in the Union. The state sent the Confederate army to prevent them from doing so.

I never implied or believed that support for the confederacy was universal among southern population.

Oh, so it wasn’t treason. It was just an act of war then.

In your mind…

If there is any one thing I’ve learned about pro-Confederate States of America people, it’s that their arguments in defence of the CSA are creative and they never stop. These people have always fascinated me.

Not true. Missouri and Kentucky were so divided they didn’t manage to secede. Sam Houston resigned the governorship of Texas over it and there were feuds here for years.

It was as cultural as it was geographic in all but a few states.

Of course. Objectively.

You’ve been telling us for 40 years.

Not all hypotheses work out. That’s life. That’s why I asked.

You’ve clearly adopted a view that roots in southern white supremacy. Whether you’ve lived in the south is irrelevant.

Occum’s razor does not back you up.

Objectively? Not really.

Were the southern states part of the United States at the time of the confederacy? There is no objective answer to that question.

If that is a mystery to you… there is no need to continue.

Of course there is. They seceded before they put troops in the field.

Missouri and Kentucky were not a part of the confederacy so I don’t see the relevance in bringing them up at this point. Sam Houston is one man in Texas. The actual vote for secession was overwhelmingly in favor.

Again, I never claimed that there was universal support for secession, but it was substantial in the confederate states.

you should check under your bed for white supremacists.

I won’t offer details of proof, but unless you have dedicated your life to helping “brown people”, I’ve likely helped more brown people in my life than you have or will. But your narrative can’t stand such facts.

Ever watch “Westworld”? That fact above “won’t look like anything” to you no matter how many times you read it.