Please put down the fork and spoon and back away from the plate maam

This is the stuff that’s sort of taboo here because muh freeberty. But I don’t think there’s any honest way to talk about this problem without talking about the economics of our food system, including subsidies, marketing, advertising, and everything else.

Oof. I feel that one.

Yeah, I wasn’t even going to bother to bring that up. She took anodyne positions (Let’s eat healthier, drink water, and move around) that caused wingnuts to crap themselves continuously.

Alcohol has agreed less and less to me as I’ve gotten older. So my consumption these days is little to naught (although Athletic Brewing Company has finally—finally!—created some truly tasty NA beers). I definitely don’t miss the empty calories of my 20s, though.

I’ll agree, but we also need to talk about screens. I think parents today find itceasier to park their kids with a phone, rather than schlep them to and from activities, or do anything active with them.

And they are doing this because it is the way they were raised. It is a knock-on effect.

Sister, Preach:raised_back_of_hand:

Check demographics

Already been discussed

Our obesity problem isn’t a new phenomenon. Though it’s gotten much worse.

I was going to say. Southern food is delicious, but pretty fattening.

Everyone remember Paula Deen and all those butter memes from ago? Processed foods and all the cheap junk food is a problem, but even when people cook, our food isn’t the healthiest.

Maybe the government should impose a “mask while dining” mandate. :wink:

1 Like

Then what accounts for all those obese 10-12-yr-olds?

I drink beer every day and I’m not fat.

When I was working, there were frequently goodies (sweets) brought in to celebrate a birthday or new baby or something. I usually declined, saying “no thanks, I don’t need that stuff.” to which the response was something like “look at you, you can afford to eat a piece of cake.” They never seemed to make the connection between my denial of the high calorie food with my relatively lean physique. Won’t power … the ability to turn down temptation … is the secret to not slowly gaining weight over time.

The airline industry is doing their part.

Those seats are torture at normal weights.

How much beer ? Just a beer daily probably won’t make that much difference especially if active lifestyle.

Never fly coach. :smile:

I don’t.

Gosh but you sound bitter. What does that have to do with @Safiel’s post? In fact, what does it have to do with the thread?

That’s where the “won’t power” comes into play. Just say no to that second beer.

1 Like

Ugh. That’d be a lot of broth.

Active kids aren’t fat. Not as fat, anyway.

And because it was stupid in two different ways, one it pretended all kids have the same caloric needs, same calories for the football squad as the AV club and two, it doesn’t work if the kids won’t eat it.