Please put down the fork and spoon and back away from the plate maam

Can we go back to whatever we were doing before everyone started getting fat? At this point I don’t care if fat-shaming makes a come back. What is the reason why this is a thing?

Almost half of U.S. adults will be considered obese by 2030 — with women, African Americans and people in low-income households most vulnerable

And don’t say fast food it’s been here forever I am 40 years old we had a McDonalds, Wendy’s and Burger King a mile away from my school and we had maybe three fat kids in the whole high school. We went to one of our daughters school events over the weekend and I couldn’t believe at all the young obesity I saw. It was like being at some rancher auction of livestock.

This is just sad especially for women men are highly visual creatures. Our girls thankfully are fit and trim but we can’t control them after they are on their own and maybe the become like the rest of society which a terrible thought. Seriously though what the hell people, plus size models, fat reality tv, and 40 year old obese related heart attacks isn’t the answer to this problem. I bet the vast majority of covid deaths were obese people.

Why did it get so bad so fast? My generation we weren’t like this nor the generations behind me why in the last 10 years we become the nation of the lard ass. And to think some in society encourage it, don’t it’s not healthy it’s better to have your feelings hurt than be hauled off on a gurney from a obese related heart attack.

This is under politics because it has been a political issue brought about by many politicians. Can we just put down the cheeseburger and all get along? Or whatever we were doing before go back to that.

4 Likes

Palm oil is one of the most horrible fats on Earth, and it’s in just about everything from hygiene products to all the processed foods.

People aren’t eating real food. They’re eating bottom of the barrel junk at the lowest price of production.

5 Likes

Has the palm oil been around forever or is it a new thing? My wife only cooks with Avocado which is high as hell lol but I understand why. I just don’t understand why all these young people are fat. It was sad going to my daughters school event I literally almost cried seeing all the fat kids to teenagers there.

That’s literally all my wife and all talked about the whole time there, good Lord what happened. Seriously no joke this is what more than half the kids looked like there at her school. When I was in school there would only be one or two fat people in the whole school.

Screenshot 2022-02-15 131601

1 Like

I use avocado oil, olive oil, or coconut oil as well as butter/lard. Regardless of what the “experts” say, they are better for you than some other oils.

2 Likes

Palm oil isn’t a new thing, but it has since become the cheapest thing, and so it’s the thing. Look at any processed food. The ingredients are by law listed in largest to smallest proportions used.

Guarantee you the vast majority of those obese are eating prepackaged foods, with the cheapest factory processed ingredients the current/former slave trading nations can provide.

I’ll be serving pork loin and carrots (sauteed in avocado oil) with creamy garlic rice tonight. Every ingredient is easily identified and pronounced.

2 Likes

I blame beer. Beer is the problem. At least for me.

2 Likes

That new “body positivity” trend is unhelpful.

You don’t have to hate or shame yourself to understand that certain things just aren’t healthy . After Covid, especially.

I point the finger at high fructose corn syrup and an even more sedentary computer based lifestyle.

As people search for a cause for the obesity epidemic, one place they look is changes in dietary habits. HFCS, as a relatively new ingredient in the American diet, and one that is found in many unhealthy foods and caloric drinks, has raised many eyebrows. Research has also looked at the possible connection, resulting in mixed messages.

If there is one connection that’s obvious, it’s this: Calorie consumption in the U.S. has climbed steadily for decades. One major source of “new” calories in the U.S. diet is sweet beverages such as sodas. (U.S. soft drink consumption grew 135 percent between 1977 and 2001.)1

Making the switch between cane sugar and HFCS in soda and other sweetened drinks made them cheaper, allowing for things like “super-sizing” to become possible, and increasing even more the calorie load from these sources.

I have noticed the same sad obvious epidemic of morbid obesity…everywhere.

1 Like

It’s a combination of what we eat and the lack of physical activity.

I’ll admit that I’ve slacked over the years. I’m about 40 pounds above what I need to be. And I need to fix it.

No one notices because I carry it better than most people. But I’m about 40-50 pounds over weight. Based on my height and build I should be about 190-200, which is what I was ten years ago. Stopped working the hard physical jobs and took a more comfortable job.

Yep, people these days are malnourished because of an overabundance of fake food. Because of the lack of nutrition, they keep eating and eating…

3 Likes

No need for fat shaming, the vast majority of fat people aren’t glad to be fat.

Does “fat shaming” just mean making fun of fat people ?

It used to be, if you go back in time, getting a meal was tougher than today. The food eaten had a higher probability of being fresh. Now…filling your tummy is easy and the easier it is, more than likely, the less healthy it is. The current population’s body mass index is simply a reflection of how it’s easier to find food and how most all are taking that easy route to fill their stomachs. It’s like going to a gas station in a high performance, expensive car but when you get to the pump, you choose the low grade fuel. That’s what people do in this day and age and their body fat is the example of those poor choices.

1 Like

Generally means to make their lives harder in some fashion. For the record, I have lost fifty pounds during Covid and am currently near my ideal weight. I didn’t need people telling me it wasn’t good to be fat because I am not a moron, it’s pretty obvious. Just sort of crept up on me slowly over the decades.

4 Likes

Well done

A lot more jobs were menial labor as well.

2 Likes

I blame tech especially social media and smartphones even though it’s how I make my living. That plus families that are not actively engaged with their children’s dieting and food choices.

Seems like smart phones and consuming double the daily recommended calorie intake has went hand in hand.

1 Like

There’s your answer. These young girls don’t want to cook.

4 Likes

I think it’s a lot of factors. But the so-called “obesity epidemic” predates smartphones and social media. I am not sure how you extricate the problem from the economics of our food system.

There’s lots and lots of good writing about this over the last 20 years or so.

Michael Pollan’s guidelines are helpful for most people.

1. Don’t eat anything your great grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food. "When you pick up that box of portable yogurt tubes, or eat something with 15 ingredients you can’t pronounce, ask yourself, “What are those things doing there?” Pollan says.

2. Don’t eat anything with more than five ingredients, or ingredients you can’t pronounce.

3. Stay out of the middle of the supermarket; shop on the perimeter of the store. Real food tends to be on the outer edge of the store near the loading docks, where it can be replaced with fresh foods when it goes bad.

4. Don’t eat anything that won’t eventually rot. “There are exceptions – honey – but as a rule, things like Twinkies that never go bad aren’t food,” Pollan says.

5. It is not just what you eat but how you eat. “Always leave the table a little hungry,” Pollan says. “Many cultures have rules that you stop eating before you are full. In Japan, they say eat until you are four-fifths full. Islamic culture has a similar rule, and in German culture they say, ‘Tie off the sack before it’s full.’”

6. Families traditionally ate together, around a table and not a TV, at regular meal times. It’s a good tradition. Enjoy meals with the people you love. “Remember when eating between meals felt wrong?” Pollan asks.

7. Don’t buy food where you buy your gasoline. In the U.S., 20% of food is eaten in the car.](Food and Recipes Center: Easy, Healthy Recipe Ideas for Your Health Needs and Preferences)

I find 3 a good reminder.

Also, if I am hungry, I ask: Will I eat an apple? If I won’t, then I am not hungry.

That said, I’ve never struggled with food.

4 Likes

Obesity rates by state. Not to make it partisan, but there is somewhat of a trend towards obesity in more conservatives parts of the country.