People who have now officially recovered from COVID-19 far surpass those who perished

Agreed, and from the my vantage that is just the tip of the ice berg. Hence, why this thread is discussing how many more were infected and recovered that were never tested. Worse yet, these millions of recovered cases will never be shown either.

1 Like

Considering conceding, you said “air routes” and the article incorporated traffic of cumulative people going through each airport annually.

This was what I posted:

“Just a very quick note: the Sydney-Melbourne air route (pre-COVID-19 lockdowns of course) was one of the busiest air routes in the world.”.

Why would it hit other countries first?

No way in telling for sure if 2nd wave will be coming.

If there a 2nd wave, Sikofit is probably correct.

Here’s an interesting article:

Intra-country air routes within Australia is off topic.

Simply put a millions more people traveled from China into USA than Australia, and no matter how you try to assert Australia being a top world traveling destination. I try hard to back up my assertions. I suggest like you did here+busiest in the world" please have facts-articles to back up what you write.

D Trump is the president of the USA during the COVID-19 pandemic. There is nothing in the USA constitution that precluded him from forming a body comprising of the states’ governors and himself. That body could have provided a coordinated approach to the purchase of ventilators and PPE. It could have provided leadership in the handling of the pandemic.

Instead what Trump did was to show no leadership whatsoever during this period.

Apart from Boris Johnson which other leaders have had their approval ratings dropped during the COVID-19 pandemic. In Australia after Morrison has improved his approval rating to the 60s which is a marked improvement from what it was as a consequence of his appalling handling of our country’s bush fires’ crises. In my own state the premier has an approval rating of above 90%.

I noticed also that Trump was complaining about the media allegedly not highlighting other countries’, including Australia, handling of the pandemic. Trump is an idiot if he thinks that a comparison between the USA’s and Australia’s current handling of the pandemic would show that the USA is performing better than Australia.

Try harder to recognize this country was born with State governors having comparable power to the President to govern their respective regions.

I do imagine it is very hard for you being an Aussie down under to fully grasp how power of the Federal government is severely limited as it pertains to domestic issues. The POTUS has much broader powers as it relates to foreign policy. Even so, the Congress Senate is the one that must approve declaring outright war.

Your idea of expecting “genuine” bi-partisan support of governors to make decisions would be impossible and far more impractical to apply. Governors not in the GOP party will seek to hijack even more power.

The USA has one state (California 39.5M) with a population more than all of Australia (25M). America is 13 times the population size of Australia too. Even Florida may soon be bigger than Australia already 21.4M and with a lot more people flocking from NY/NJ permanently with how those two states are by far the worse in finite deaths of this pandemic.

And NY’s governor is under investigation for sending 6,300 people to nursing homes under executive order despite having hospitals and a ship there for covid-19 people to be treated.

November can not come soon enough here in the USA - you will see then Trump re-elected…

P.S. I guess on the other thread, perhaps Jerry Nadler slipped your mind?

I reject entirely the assertion that it would not have been able to provide a coordinated approach in the USA if there had been a competent person domiciled in the White House. To provide a coordinated approach was not predicated on the restrictions on the USA Federal government proscribed in the USA constitution. Governors on both sides of the political aisle were articulating publicly that they wanted a central ordering of ventilators and PPE. Trump chose not to do so. Trump for months scorned the wearing of masks; he has only recently had an epiphany on masks. However, by that time the damage was done.

Even with a spike in deaths in Australia if the USA had matched our per capita death rate they would have had fewer than 3,000 deaths. And as a consequence of the spike in new cases in Australia state governments and the federal government have reacted with tighter restrictions and financial support.

We shall see what happens in November.

PS No Nadler did not slip my mind. I would equate Jordan with Craig Kelly who is a mere backbencher in our federal parliament.

It is what it is. Sadly the political narrative here in America for bi-partisan support on most anything is essentially non-existent.

Unlike 9-11 where the country rallied against Bin Laden here the Dems refuse to go after China for their total disregard for human life. Simply put, Bush 41 easily won re-election and no way the blue states want this health crisis to enhance Trump’s chances in November.

P. S. Continue your rebuttal on Nader if you dare on that thread.

Trump made no attempt. He can’t even get credit for trying and not succeeding.

I stand by my equating Jordan to a RWNJ backbencher, Craig Kelly.

The POTUS through the task force has had and will continue to have regular meetings with ALL governors. When the governors are on all these calls together it is widely reported afterwards all are satisfied being heard on any and all of their issues or concerns. In addition, each Monday every state gets a detailed report highlighting key metrics broken down to their granular localities. Plus the governors understand they can call 24 x 7. Even asking for one on one meetings in person or via the phone with Trump or Pence directly is never denied.

Another example of Trump’s lack of leadership: why would Trump ask or even mention slowing down testing during a pandemic?

The topic of this thread is recoveries far surpass those who die.

In January and against the advice of Dr. Fauci and the WHO, Trump decided to take the boldest action in doing the China travel ban.

That was under Trump’s leadership and ultimately saved millions of human lives here in America and around the world (when many other countries wisely followed suit).

You will be hard-pressed to push that particular barrow that Trump lead the way.

It took very little time and effort to find this excerpt from a workpermit.com Feb article that explicitly highlights the fact of several countries including Australia, Singapore and Japan following Trump’s lead to do their own travel ban’s against China .

Several countries follow suit with their own visa restrictions

Since the US announced its coronavirus travel ban, several other countries followed suit, including Australia, Singapore and Japan, among others.

It’s understood that a total of 62 countries have so far imposed some kind of travel restriction targeting Chinese nationals and people who have visited China recently.

However, Canada said it wouldn’t be following the USA’s example and instead acted on the WHO’s advice not to ban entry for Chinese nationals and people who have been in China recently.

Canada’s Health Minister, Patty Hajdu, said: “Our position is completely in line with the WHO’s position, which is that, at this time, there’s no sufficient evidence saying that the virus can be spread when people are not exhibiting symptoms.”

Mortality rate in New Yourk is currently 0.037 like the real experts have been saying all along. For state of california 0.012 these will continue to drop despite false and missleading actions taken to inflate the numbers. Arizona deaths for month of june down over 2000 from deaths recorded same month last year. I live here. Hospitals are empty. I checked 5 of them. Press have been lying like they never lyied befor. Including az republic.

US has tested 18 per thousand.
Australia has tested 17 per thousand.

By what metric is this “far less testing?

Welcome to the forum

I hope Arizona doesn’t end up having the same kind of deaths per 1M pop as the areas of the country that have been hit the hardest so far, but I’m worried that you have 1000+ new cases. This disease spreads fast once it gets going.

Australia announced a travel restriction from China on the 1st February, 2020 after a meeting of the Chief Medical Officers of all states and territories on Saturday.

1 Like