Penatgon confirm 34 American injured in Iranian attack

Snow…please understand. I doubt you have any experience or medical knowledge of TBI. I have 20 years of supporting people post TBI. I have 8 years working with neurologists and neurosurgeons with regard to my Fathers TBI…that altered his life, and my families lives for the 8 years post injury, until the effects finally took him. .
You have no idea what a TBI does to a person long term. So please…DON’T.

My dad never had any surgery to open his skull, he never was put into a coma. Yet he was treated for 3 months, had to learn how to talk and write again. Had a year of physical therapy. His life was never the same.

It was as if he looked normal, but parts of his brain we’re amputated.

2 Likes

I have a very good friend who’s daughter was bucked off a horse. She spent 6 months in ICU, has undergone two years of therapy.

A co workers grandsone was in a car accident and spent a year in ICU, Started therapy but dropped out.

Neither of them is the same person as before their accidents. The one without therapy to “re-learn” how to do life is worse off.

No you don’t have to open the skull, but typically they will releave the pressure some how.

But again, to get TBI requires sever trauma to the head.

I’m having trouble pictureing 34 soldiers with sevier trauma to the head and NO other bodily injuries to them or those around them.

How many of these cases have been diagnosed as severe and/or permanently debilitating?

Hint, those are the rarest of cases.

All amputations leave the patient with permanent disfigurement and disabilities.

IED’s have also been responsible for a hell of a lot of serious TBI’s along with amputation and other permanent physical disabilities.

There are 17 who were concussed minor. They are back to active duty. The other 17 are listed by the pentagon as having TBI. It only takes a major concussive event. Such as a missile exploding near you. It could simply be the force of the explosion rattling the brain, or the force of the explosion causing them to hit their heads hard enough to damage the brain.

This issue is a cause for me. You simply have not lived it. You don’t truly know the affects it has on the person and how it effects the rest of their lives.

What else would make a grown man jump out of a moving vehicle simply because the A/C didn’t cool it down fast enough. TBI effects rational thinking. This happened to a TBI patient I had worked with for 20 years. He turned to his staff who was driving, said bye, unbuckled and opened the door and jumped. Split second irrationality…dead.

No TBI sufferer ever goes back to normal. This is my problem with Trumps statements. And my problems with those who defend those statements.

3 Likes

Someone who’s perfectly sane and rational will exit a vehicle who’s interior exceeds 140F for any length of time particularly when wearing body armor.

The guy you are talking about very likely had issues not related to the TBI.

That is completely false, refer to the Mayo Link above.

And being treated on an outpatient bases in all cases, which is what was reported.

I’m not the least bit wrong and there is no more authoritative source than the Mayo Clinic.

You’re barking from the wrong end.

https://www.cdc.gov/traumaticbraininjury/basics.html

I have a good deal of both formal training and personal experience with TBI’s.

You are wrong again. He had TBI since he was 17 and died at the age of 44. I knew him for 20 years.

So save you “expert” opinion for someone who is not as knowledgeable as I am regarding TBI. Ok.

You are insulting to those who suffer and die from TBI…and those who care for them. You have no idea.

1 Like

You haven’t demonstrated any actual knowledge as the sources I’ve provided have shown.

You are wrong. Go talk to a neurologist. Go volunteer some time at a military hospital or rehab center and work with some people with a TBI. Then tell me I am wrong. You wont. So you are the one barking. Not me.

I do this for a living. Do you?

3 Likes

Again – A good friend who’s daughter has gone through it. And a co worker who’s grandson went through it. I know from them what it takes to come back (if you can even call it that). One of them has been in and out of jail because of the issues related to it. No I haven’t had a TBI, nor has any of my family members. But people close to me have. So YES I understand how it effects a person.

Of course you do. What might that formal training be.

1 Like

You should have plenty of readily available information on the topic in that case. This is a discussion board, refute the evidence.

I have and I’ve been a disabled vet for over 20 years so as I said, I have both personal experience and formal training with respect to TBI’s.

You’re not just wrong all the way around, you’re wrong all the way around at the top of your lungs.

A Ranger Medic and Paramedic.

:rofl: I thought youd say that.

The effects range from short term and mild to permanent and debilitating.

Most fall in the first category. You wouldn’t recognize them as ever having had one unless you knew them or had access to their records.

I have 20 years of experience in the field. I have refuted it. Since there are now two moderators here…i see I have worn out my welcome. I will say goodbye now. Nice trying to explain TBI to you all. I fear if I stay around I wont around. Know what I mean.

3 Likes

Actually there’s three of us here but I’m enjoying the conversation. I mean that… this is a good thread. Reminded me of the older forum days of actual discussion without too much negativity. I hope everyone keeps posting.