On the House floor, Rep Jim Jordan R-OH expresses outrage that Democrats want to make Election Day a federal holiday

Strawman. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Right. Long Lines (especially in poor and minority communities who also can’t afford losing the hours) are an epidemic in Red States. Just because you’re privledged enough to live in a place where voting is easy doesn’t mean the rest of America is. It’s typical Republican affluenza speaking here - “It’s easy for me so it must be easy for you, so stop complaining when we make it harder.”

3 Likes

I can’t call false statements lies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2018/11/07/we-waited-almost-hours-vote-my-georgia-precinct-how-convenient-kemp/

I assume you’re sufficiently embarrassed to apologize now.

1 Like

That doesn’t make it difficult enough. How about there is only ONE place to register to vote. Washington DC. All roles are purged every 10 years and everyone must make a once-a-decade pilgrimage to DC to register to vote.

3 Likes

I can! Usually about 30 seconds after I walk into the local cafe that always has the TV tuned to Fox News.

I don’t want it difficult. BUT I only want people who WANT to vote, and put something into it to vote.

How about registration at any city/county office. That help? I don’t want motor voter. I don’t want a crew of people going and and begging people to register, then going back and begging them to vote. If they don’t car enough to go register themselves, and get their ass to the voting station themselves then so be it.

I want every eligible person to vote.

1 Like

Do you think working mothers don’t WANT to vote? How about people working 2 or 3 jobs. They don’t WANT to vote?

Point being, there are people out there that WANT to vote but find it difficult because of responsibilities. Having a National Holiday might alleviate some of those responsibilities and allow them to vote more easily.

5 Likes

Shouldn’t they put in a little effort to vote? You know, make sure they get registered. Make sure they get to the polling station?

If they don’t want to put the effort out, then they don’t REALLY want to vote.

A four-day weekend!? Oh, the horror!

2 Likes

How much is the “appropriate” amount of effort? Who decides that?

Mailing in a ballot is the adequate amount?

What do people normally do when they plan a 4 day weekend?

Do you live in a city of a couple million or no

Never seen people against a holiday to vote … We are living in bizzarro world

??? People do a million different things on four-day weekends.

So do you have to wait for hours at a time to vote?

“The peasants already have too much time off. How much bounty do they want?”

3 Likes

Did he say he didn’t want people to be allowed to vote? In most places you have at least two weeks to vote. Further, a federal holiday wouldn’t require anyone but Federal Workers to have the day off, anyway. When I worked for the Feds, we always had several hours off to vote, usually taken before or after work if you hadn’t already voted.
Basically, this would just allow another day of pay for no work when there is no problem with federal workers voting anyway.

Can we add in a civics and literacy test as well?

Just to make sure they’re…you know…intelligent enough to make good choices?

1 Like