On the House floor, Rep Jim Jordan R-OH expresses outrage that Democrats want to make Election Day a federal holiday

Again . . . a conscious effort on their part to get registered and vote. Don’t know how I can be more clear on that.

nope.

Never mind. You don’t get it.

I’m a fan of a holiday to vote. I would prefer voting to be on Saturday or Sunday, but a holiday would suffice.

We just put in our constitution in Michigan the same-day registration and postal voting, and Republicans were so pissed that eliminated ballot measures against the will of both conservative and progressive and liberal voices. (They didn’t eliminate it, but the hoops you now have to jump through have practically done that)

So, yes, Republicans do not want people voting as far as I can tell.

Where I live they have gone to vote by mail.

Nope. But I would like to eliminate straight party ticket voting. Also removal of party affiliation by the candidates names, and have them in a random order.

Wonder what would happen under those circumstances where they can’t just go in pop straight party, or go down and mark all the candidates of one party.

By golly they might actaully need to know the issues, and how each candidate feels on them.

Independence Day sometimes falls on Tuesday. Christmas sometimes falls on Tuesday. Veterans Day sometimes falls on Tuesday.

Of course we’re the country that has the Super Bowl on a Sunday instead of a Saturday night so we’re obviously too stupid to have a holiday so that more Americans can participate in our elections.

Hell, NC took voting places off of college campuses and canceled early voting when minorities showed up the most. So we all know what’s really happening.

2 Likes

You’re solving for a minute problem:

8400 “potential” cases in 2016. Call it 13,000 because not every state in the study is represented:

http://www.g-a-i.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Voter-Fraud-Final-with-Appendix-1.pdf

That’s .009% of votes, or 1 in 10,000 that are potentially illegal.

This, though, is a problem worth solving:

Increase votership by 1% in a presidential election year, and that’s a million additional votes.

You’re going to a restaurant, being served a piece of bloody rare chicken, and asking for a different piece of parsley on your plate.

1 Like

I’m not trying to solve the problem you’ve posted here.

Register only at county/city offices – person has to put an actuall effort into wanting to vote
Purge voter rolls every 10 years – automatically removes dead people, people who have moved. Things like that.
Some sort of ID presented to vote – just verifies who is voting.

It’s fine with me as long as we have voter id to validate actually citizenship & the right to vote. I suspect the Dems would “express outrage” over that! :roll_eyes:

Strawman is the only one between Dorothy, the Tin Man, and the Lion that didn’t get brain freeze after eating a popsicle.

Totally valid point.

Who cares what Jordan thinks. He has zero power in the House.

What’s to get about the horror or a four-day weekend? It can’t be that hard to explain.

Not true! Everyone knows that only republicans have jobs. So this would not… err… I’m confused now.

That strawman posts on these boards:

The fact that we don’t have automatic voter registration for all 18-year old citizens is absolutely ■■■■■■■ crazy.

1 Like

And we shouldn’t. They want to vote, they need to make an effort to get registered, then make an efford to vote.

There’s already that book, 4-hour work week. I’m for it.