Of vice and men

There’s drunken moments and psychedelic epiphanies throughout the Bible.

There are no bad drugs, only bad uses for drugs.

1 Like

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit?

When you deliberately do something that damages or desecrates your body, you are desecrating that temple.

That’s absolutely another reason, but this seems to be a touchy subject for some strange reason… :thinking:

They’re not considered as good things though.

That’s one opinion not shared by every Christian.

2 Likes

No, as usual with you, not quite.

There are lots of differing opinions among Christians about a lot of things in the Bible. List the “good” things that tobacco does for the body. List the benefits it provides for society. How about alcohol and illicit drugs? I believe there’s can reason these things are called vices.

Moses inhaled n,n-DMT from the burning Acacia Bush.

Thank God. :wink:

1 Like

Wouldn’t buying a new car instead of used kind of align here? It seems it would also be a poor stewardship of money, funding selfishness or vanity.

There seem to be a lot of things that people buy for themselves and not the family. Expensive cars are but the tip of the iceberg of this poor stewardship of money.

Would tobacco be ok if the person is fabulously wealthy and the money he pays for tobacco doesn’t impinge on his family money?

Dang! Got me on that one…

2 Likes

"For John the Baptist has come eating no bread and drinking no wine and you say, “He has a demon. The Son of man has come eating and drinking, and you say, 'Behold, a glutton and a drunkard…!” Luke 7 I don’t think they would have accused Him of being a drunkard or winebibber if he had only drank grape juice.

1 Like

Wasn’t Noah, chosen by God, also a raging alcoholic who likely taught his fellow survivors how to brew beer/wine?

I don’t know about the raging alcoholic, but yes he did plant a vineyard and made wine.

Speaking about the uses, Proverbs 31 “Give strong drink to him who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress; let them drink and forget their poverty, and remember their misery no more.” There is proper uses for strong drink.

2 Likes

You either didn’t read, or chose to ignore my posts on wealth. It is not wealth by itself, or what a person does with their wealth that is the problem. It is when the accumulation of wealth or the things it buys is put ahead of God that is the problem. Yes, buying a car could be a problem, but buying a car is more a necessity in today’s America than a luxury. Rather then me listing all the possible legitimate useful and beneficial reasons that people buy cars for, how about you list all the legitimate, useful and beneficial reasons people buy tobacco for? I’m guessing your list would be much shorter and faster to type than mine…

As I understand it, one of Noah’s sons once walked in on him in a naked drunken stupor, and was cursed for it.

Yes. Plenty of wine meant prosperity and blessing. “May God give you plenty of grain and wine,” was the blessing of Isaac upon Jacob. Genesis 27

1 Like

The Bible listed one instance of Noah’s drunkeness, and also noted the unspecified bad consequence of that incident. Hardly solid evidence to conclude he was a raging drunk OR an example to demonstrate the benefits of drinking. It is possible for people to drink without becoming alcoholics. The question about vice and Jesus still remains unanswered.

Vices are fine until they harm others. The Golden Rule, as it were.

1 Like

Proverbs 20:1 " WINE IS A MOCKER, STRONG DRINK IS RAGING: AND WHOSOEVER IS DECEIVED THEREBY IS NOT WISE."

There are no qualifiers to that scripture.

Yet they accused him of blasphemy, breaking the Sabbath, being a threat to the peace and other sins too and then crucified him. You believe they wouldn’t lie about him being a drunk? Why is that when EVERY OTHER ACCUSATION AGAINST HIM WAS A LIE?