Ocasio-Cortez knocks Barstool Sports founder over threat to fire unionizing

And a buisness has the right to say no.

Answer this. Which the current protections unions have, why can’t a single employee business “unionize”?

What would stop them from seeking union representation?

Incorrect.

If the weight doesn’t exist, then the trained employee has no inherent value which isn’t true.

A trained employee always has value. The problem may be that the actual value is less than what the employee is asking for.

1 Like

Of course they can… I believe we call this a strike or walk out…

That argument never works for me.

It is predicated on the idea that the value of the labor is the price that the buyer sets and not the seller. Where the true price is a negotiation between the buyer and the seller. Those selling their labor tend to get a much better price when they bargain collectively.

2 Likes

That’s not what they do though. You’re right, we all have the right to determine what our labor is worth; to us.

If the person who has the job to offer has a different opinion, we have two choices. Accept the offer or go somewhere else.

You © don’t have a right to demand someone buy those skills at your © price.

1 Like

And used the government to do it. An individual’s value is not collective.

Lol there are never just 2 choices. There is always the 3rd choice of negotiating. People do it all the time, yet for some reason your Collective pretends it’s not an option when selling labor. What a hoot!

Yes you do.

Especially if those selling the labor agree to not undercut each other.

We all do better then… instead of the inevitable race to bottom.

Come on Lucy, of course negotiating occurs. On an individual level. The assumption is it didn’t work.

Only if you © can’t stand the competition. Value is individual, not collective. Discretionary effort must be rewarded to be realized.

There is no requirement that negotiation be relegated to the individual.

Of course value also accrues to a group.

Because the concept of negotiation doesn’t exist?

1 Like

Okay you’ve been opposing the very concept of collective bargaining in every other post in this thread.

It’s almost like working with people to better everyone’s individual interest is a foreign concept.

2 Likes

Because forced “bargaining” isn’t bargaining…

“We want higher wages or we’re all going to walk and strike!” is perfectly fine.

“You’re going to negotiate with us because by law you have to!” is not fine and it’s not a negotiation. It’s a hostage situation that’s enforced by law.

2 Likes

It’s a negotiation when both parties are allowed to leave the table. But that’s not the way union labor laws work.

I’m fine with actual collective negotiation.

I am glad that you are fine with collective negotiation.

Maybe the understanding that without the protections of law, historically the alternative is a lot of violence is understood also.