Ocasio-Cortez knocks Barstool Sports founder over threat to fire unionizing

Unions make jobs worth having. Unions are the difference between a job and wage slavery.

And when you point at the child labor and overtime laws and other laws protecting labor, point at the unions who were the driving force behind those laws’ passage.

Why.

What’s the logical reason for forcing two parties to negotiate a contract when one of the parties doesn’t want the contract at all?

Think of unions as an exclusive outsourcing contract with on-shore resources… Capitalism at its finest… job creators!!!

Historically, the alternative is a lot of violence.

That’s called terrorism.

Read up on history.

I’ve never been a union member in my life and I make good money.

Or extortion by threat of violence.

“Give is what we want or we will riot and destroy things”.

Just because it was something you agreed with does not change the fact that it’s the definition of terrorism.

I don’t support violence in the pursuit of political or economic ends.

I understand the historical context of violence around the movement to unionize labor for collective bargaining and the violence of the anti-union forces.

Without protections of labor coming together for collective bargaining, the alternative is a return to violence.

That is just reality.

Cool. So you support people asking for things that don’t belong to them under the threat of violence.

1 Like

I’m in management now, but I’ve been a union member and not and in a union the pay is generally half again higher and you get benefits. There’s other problems, like the psychotic fixation on seniority, but they do pay better.

Collective bargaining isn’t “asking for things that don’t belong to them” it is demanding that they get fairly compensated for selling their labor.

I will never understand why people are so against labor unions.

They just can’t stand the idea of employees having enough weight as a group to get a good deal? I dunno.

The job doesn’t belong to them. So yes, it’s exactly like I stated.

It’s like they are temporarily embarrassed millionaires pining for the guilded age.

The skills to perform the job belong to them and they have a right to determine how those skills are sold.

There’s a big difference between having enough weight to deal, and being forced to deal by law.

The first I’m fine with, the second is a travesty of law.

It is the worker’s labor to sell.

Coming together and setting a price for that labor is in the interest of those selling the labor… not buying it.

So we are at an impasse it seems.

The Labor belongs to the laborer to sell and the owner needs labor to buy.

What happens next?

The weight doesn’t exist in the first place without the protections of the law.