Not completely happy, but I can support the 1.5 trillion stimulus proposal

Fair enough. That’s a logical reason to be certain.

“$250 billion for proven state government shortfalls”…what is the definition in this bill of proven state government shortfalls?

like bush’s immigration reform, i won’t like it but could accept it providing the money for state bailouts is tied to COVID and not the result of a political hack governors and mayors keeping a state closed long after it should be opening, or the result of damage due to “mostly peaceful protests” they encouraged.

1 Like

As net takers or givers? Do they write a check quarterly or at the end of the year to the United States Treasury?

Why is that?

This is a better breakdown of where the 1.5 (possibly 1.7) trillion dollars will be spent.

the 370B for local and state budgets not connected to covid is a non starter. I have no interest in bailing out failed liberal states and cities.

Apparently you mistaken about that as a Republican co-sponsored the proposal

so? doesn’t change it. bailing out leftist ■■■■ holes is a non starter

1 Like

Again you are mistaken. If it was a non-stsrter then it wouldn’t have been agreed to by the Republican Rep.

Yup, and states like Utah that budget conservatively, and immediately chopped the budget to remain in balance get squat.

Sucks for them

a republican rep from NY who stands to benefit from having his mismanaged state bailed out. no. you can be as partisan as you wish, i don’t change my opinion because an “r” said it.

2 Likes

So, what is the point of budgeting if you think you’re going to be bailed out?

2 Likes

The more I think about it. With budget cuts, utah can show a documented shortfall. Hmmmm

So, responsibility is on the shoulders of the irresponsible?

Or, is it if the irresponsible get rewarded let’s throw our hat in as well?

the rest of the bill is fine with me, though i do think rental assistance being given to those we already gave money to, to pay their bills is excessive.

1 Like

People here on green cards have to have a job. Their presence benefits their employers, their landlords, the stores they shop in and the governments they pay taxes too. Green card holders are net givers.

Societies are stronger - economically (and spiritually IMO) - if they are filled with healthy, productive members who contribute both financially and socially to the society.

Economically, it’s far cheaper to help members keep their existing place of shelter, help them stay healthy through good diet, and keeping the heat on, than it is to watch them get sick and homeless, or toss them in jail.

It’s cheaper to pay someone a months rent, than to keep them a month in the hospital or jail.

And spiritually, do you want to commute to work on a bus surrounded by happy, healthy productive people, or around out of work, on the street people nervous for their next meal?

Do you want to walk the streets of your town to a restaurant and chat along the way with happy healthy people, or do you want to step over the homeless on teh way?

I’m gonna get that big Sharper Image massage chair. Slap a couple wheels on the sides and paint a metallic X on the wheels so I can pretend I’m Professor Xavier. Free money from the Trump stash is my favorite money.

As a green card holder myself, I can tell you that getting access to welfare is a complex and convoluted process. Federal programs, state programs and even local programs all have different requirements.

I have been fortunate that in the entire time I have been in the US I have been employed, other Brit expats I know have not been so fortunate.

I need to get my arse into gear and finish my citizenship. My divorce a few years ago caused me some problems on thar front but all is good now. However no way I am renouncing my British citizenship. Looking at how things are. going having a US and a UK passport could be useful.

Looks like Trump wants to go all in on more $$$ for the next COVID stimulus package.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1306239033891315713