National Enquirer publisher says they paid off Playboy model Karen McDougal in concert with Trump’s presidential campaign

Well… the likelihood of that is really really high.

1 Like

It wont…zantax had it right when he said if trump is polling at 80% they wont go after him…that ceiling has to drop first

I think we have already had this conversation.

Sounds like grounds for appeal.

And yes, the law does define personal use exactly as I stated. It is certainly debatable on a case by case basis, but paying off people to buy their silence about an embarrassing and/or potentially litigious situation is certainly a reasonable outside of a candidate’s campaign.

He pled. He can’t appeal.

1 Like

It’s amazing how little some here understand or know about basic things like a plea agreement. Wow.

3 Likes

Well now that you are not ignoring them, will you weigh in on them, as they are relevant and pertinent to the discussion as started by the OP?

I know other posters have already pointed out that Cohen waived his right to appeal by pleading guilty, but I’m interested in what grounds for appeal you see.

If Cohen was promised a lessor sentence by the Prosecutor for pleading to a violation that does not warrant jail time (campaign violations occur commonly and the penalty is virtually always a fine) and then the Judge added to his sentence instead, he could appeal. Particularly since it was not proven that the hush money was a campaign violation. That was the charge and the Prosecutor apparently convinced Cohen to admit that it was, but that is not proof that the statute was actually violated. It can be argued that he was coerced into pleading guilty to something that may not actually be a violation in the hope of getting a lighter sentence. Coercion is always grounds for appeal.

Let me try to explain this to you one more time.

Cohen pled guilty. The prosecutors dont need to “prove” that he violated campaign finance laws because he admitted to it, and voluntarily chose to plead guilty.

You are correct in saying that most campaign violations only result in a fine. That is because most campaign finance violations are unintentional and in good faith - accidentally accepting too much money from a donor, missing reporting deadlines, etc.

When there is evidence that the violations are not unintentional - that they were made with the intent to defraud the system - then they become criminal violations, rather than just civil fines.

See D’Souza and Edwards for reference.

Since I know you’re probably not even going to read my post, here’s a FOX talking head to explain it to you:

2 Likes

The SDNY Prosecutors, the Judge who sentenced Mr. Cohen, and even the President Donald Trump friendly Judge Napolitano disagree with your analysis.

Professor Jonathan Turley agrees.

As do a slew of legal analysts.

You should call Cohen’s attorneys ASAP and let them know this important information. You will be a hero and famous!

2 Likes

The three of you have completely missed the point. The point is, dispite Cohen’s admission that he understood the hush money was to keep the stories out of the campaign, there has been no judicial determination that it was a campaign expenditure and not a personal one. And just because some legal minds have expressed the opinion that it was a campaign contribution, does not over rule the opinions of legal minds who say it was not. The question is still open regardless of what you choose to believe.

accept it was proven…AMI and Cohen admitted this. there was no coercion either. Cohen admitted this of his own free will and Pecker (ami ) got immunity. there is literally nothing to argue about here.

good god those three are morons

1 Like

he got 3 years for admitting to it…Like years for ■■■■■■■ admitting what you are syaing he didnt…This is a waste of time.

1 Like

I don’t think he can use the personal use defense if he and Pecker conspired to find stories involving women that AMI would “catch and kill” Cohen, Pecker and Trump apparently discussed paying off women like Stormy and McDougal when the three of them had a discussion about Pecker’s role in the campaign.

Smh…An 18 year old college freshman in Criminal Justice 101 knows better than this. You obviously have no idea what you’re talking about. You cant appeal after you plea.

1 Like

Well, that’s not true. There has been a “judicial determination” on the subject.

During John Edwards’ trial, his lawyers tried to make the same argument that you’re making - to get the charges dismissed by claiming he didn’t actually break the law.

The judge disagreed. That’s why it went to trial.

That judge’s opinion is out there. It’s only persuasive precedent, so its possible (but staggeringly unlikely) it would have been overturned on appeal- had Cohen gone to trial and lost.

But he didn’t. He chose to take a plea.

It’s nice to see at least one person gets the point.