My Fellow Americans...It is time for term limits and age limits in the House, the Senate, and the White House

We’ve reached the moment in our history in my opinion when there’s ample evidence to show that we need to term limit Congress people and Senators…and where we need to enforce an upper age limit on the House, the Senate, and the White House.

It’s no secret that I despise Joe Biden…I admit that up front but this thread is about more than just Mr. Biden. He is very much the most egregious example given his decades in government…But we need to start restricting these people both in the House and the Senate…

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results…

Biden in the Senate for 40 years, Schumer and Pelosi since the Jurassic era, Mitch McConnell and multiple Republicans have been in office for too long.

I’ve wrestled with this for a while, but in the end IMHO until we start restricting the time these people can serve we’ll be in for more of the same…Politicians who become professional fund raisers and experts at getting re elected without providing service to we the people.

Here’s my proposal…and the minutia of how many years and how many terms is IMHO secondary to the need for a legitimate discussion.

An upper age limit of 75 for service in the offices of the President of the United States, The House of Representatives and the Senate. Diane Feinstein is almost 90…Biden’s in his 80’s…

2 six year terms in the Senate…4 2 year terms in the House. After that go home and live with the laws you passed and with the people who elected you. I have far more faith that our elected representatives will serve we the people instead of their donors and need to be re elected if they know they aren’t campaigning for a job for life.

My thoughts…

7 Likes

Hell, I’d trade Trump for age and term limits. In a heartbeat. By all means!

5 Likes

Polling data shows Americans support the idea of term limits. “According to a Gallup survey posted Friday, 75 percent of adults nationwide back term limits for members of the House and the Senate, while 21 percent say they would vote against term limits. Term limits received bipartisan support in the poll: Republicans would back such a measure 82 percent-15 percent; independents would do so 79 percent-17 percent and Democrats favored term limits 65 percent-29 percent, even as most incumbents won their races again in November, Gallup noted.” Poll: 75 percent want Hill term limits - POLITICO

"America’s government is too old, and most Americans want dramatic changes to address the nation’s expanding gerontocracy, according to a new Insider/Morning Consult poll.

Congressional term limits and medical examinations for elected leaders are among the measures garnering overwhelming support among poll respondents. Misgivings about age extend throughout the federal government, from the House of Representatives and Senate, to the presidency and courts, the survey indicated." Most Americans Wants Term Limits, Medical Checks for Top Leaders: Poll

American voters want term limits for Congress. An overwhelming 82% (avg.) of Americans support a Term Limits Amendment for Congress crossing party lines at; 89% Rep, 83% Ind, and 76% Dem (McLaughlin and Associates). Have you polled your constituents on this issue? Benefits of Term Limits - U.S. Term Limits

I still like my old idea about fines for members of Congress when they authorize deficit spending. So much deficit spending equals so much fine.

1 Like

I’m fine with that.

I’m more fine with the idea of a citizen legislature.

Thank you for your service Senator…now make room for your successor.

Ted Cruz was on Maria Bartiromo’s show Sunday and talked about 6 years (3 terms) in the House and 2 terms in the Senate.

I am fine with a Presidential/Vice-Presidential age limit that would restrict somebody from running for either office, if they would attain to 70 years of age prior to the last day of the term being sought.

I would age limit Congress at 80 years, 70 for the Speaker.

I would also shorten Senate terms to 4 years, with half the Senate being elected every two years. 6 years made sense in 1787, but does not make sense today, particularly given the Senate’s advice and consent role to the President changed almost immediately during President Washington’s tenure.

As for the judiciary, I have devised a statutory scheme to automatically move Judges to senior status when they meet the age and tenure requirements. Once in senior status, it is easier for Judges to push out a mentally failing judge.

Term limits I am not so keen on, but age limits are clearly needed.

The Supreme Court has already ruled federal term limits unconstitutional. I suspect that this current court would do the same. Ammendment or convention.

1 Like

Thank you….I suppose I should have thought about the judiciary.

We agree on age limits….somehow it seems retirement at a certain age is a requirement in so many areas of our society…but not in the very important arena of governing.

1 Like

It’s next to impossible to amend the US Constitution, but this issue might just have a chance.

We have a large insurance conglomerate near my hometown in northeast Pennsylvania. My uncle was Chairman, CEO and President of it for numerous years. A former CEO and President sat on the board for many years and was in his 90’s. The smell of him was horrible because he was wearing adult diapers and he would frequently dose off. When he finally died, they almost immediately age limited the Board of Directors to age 70.

No. People should be able to vote for who they want to vote for.

4 Likes

In the cases of Brandon and Fetterman i think brain wave tests are in order too.

Heh. I won’t be alive to see it.

Here is the thread where I introduced and talked about my judiciary proposal.

We need term limits on bureaucrats like Fauci. Guys like him make federal agencies little kingdoms.

Term limits on politicians made Cal worse. At least we could negotiate with Willie Brown back in the day. Now all cal politicians are there just to punch the ticket and move up.

1 Like

Huh. That’s an interesting PoV I hadn’t considered

I suppose that the federal level is the end of the line, though.

1 Like

Nah. Leave it to the voters.

I.e. if voters feel like someone is too old or overstayed their welcome, they’ll vote them out.

Also, let’s get rid of the requirement that President must be a natural-born citizen.

2 Likes

On this my friend I’m afraid we disagree.

Congress is one of the most disliked entities in the country….yet once they get elected it’s next to impossible to root them out. I see no problem with these folks going into office knowing they aren’t there for life.

But it’s doable. More so in the swing districts, of course - but even in the safe districts they can be primaried.

Even those that are somewhat influential and powerful, can be outed. Case in point, Eric Cantor.

The voters just have to care.

There is no question that term limits should be implemented to help stop the corruption among our politicians. Now…here’s the problem…it’s the corrupt politicians that have to vote it in.

1 Like