Eliminating lower court judges ability to "time" their retirement

This is something that has been going on for years. Most recently the sudden wave of Democratic appointee retirements when Biden took office. But the same thing occurs routinely under both Republican and Democrat Presidents, with a mass of judicial appointees of the respective President’s party retiring.

Unfortunately, two Judges have taken it up a notch, Democratic nominees who initially took “conditional” senior status, then rescinded it. In particular, Circuit Judge Robert King of the 4th Circuit (appointed by Clinton) initially took senior status conditional upon the appointment of his successor. But when he learned that Biden was not going to nominate King’s preferred choice, a former Clerk of King’s, and that instead Biden was going to nominate an attorney preferred by Manchin, King rescinded his announcement and will continue in active status. Biden may simply have to give up on filling this seat, because if he gives into King and nominates King’s preferred candidate, he will set the precedent that Judges can veto the nomination of a disliked successor.

So, here is the solution to the problem. Note that this applies to all Article III Courts EXCEPT the Supreme Court, to which it will not apply.

Currently, any Article III Judge appointed to serve during good behavior can voluntarily retire or take senior status when they: 1. reach 65 years of age 2. have completed at least 10 years of service 3. their whole number age plus their whole number years of service equal to 80. However, retirement or senior status is entirely voluntarily and a Judge can stay in active status for pretty much as long as he or she can manage a full time case load. Perhaps the most extreme current example is Pauline Newman of the Federal Circuit at 94 years old, despite being senior/retirement eligible since 1997, though her reason for staying on active status is to retain her ability to participate in en banc proceedings.

I would change the statute to AUTOMATICALLY shift a Judge to senior status the day the Judge becomes eligible under statute. Because a senior status Judge “retains the office” under statute, such an act is Constitutional and does not violate the “Good Behavior” clause.

I would make the following changes to senior status to avoid infringing on prerogatives of Judges:

1. Judges in senior status would retain their precedence of seniority.
  2. Judges in senior status could become/remain Chief Judge of a court, if under age 70.
  3. As long as the Judge maintains a 100% case load, the Judge would be able to retain his desired chambers and courtroom.
  4. On Courts of Appeals, Judges in senior status would retain their seniority on three judge panels.
  5. On Courts of Appeals, Judges in senior status would retain the right to participate in en banc proceedings, including voting to go en banc and the en banc proceedings themselves.

When a new Judge is formally appointed and takes the Oath of Office, his retirement/senior status date becomes irrevocably set in stone. If the Judge is less than or exactly 50 years old at the time of appointment, he knows that his mandatory senior status will occur on his 65th birthday, 15 years or more hence. If he is greater than 50 years of age at the time of appointment, his mandatory senior status will occur on the date dictated by the Rule of 80.

He cannot change or control this date. There may be a Republican or Democratic President and a Republican or Democratic Senate on that date. He would have ZERO control over his replacement. And this would put a quick end to this recent bull ■■■■ of trying to torpedo a disliked successor.

I would make this act effective on January 20th, 2025, to avoid the appearance of giving the incumbent President a judicial windfall. Instead, any windfall would go to the unknown winner of the 2024 election.

1 Like

So many ways to game the system.

Thanks for the informative post!

Your welcome.

Yeah, the whole thing has just gotten worse in recent years and now the issue with judges rescinding retirements to block nominees they don’t like.

Time to end that ■■■■■ NOW.

1 Like

Safiel,

I agree with your point about rescinding Senior status if the Judge does not like the replacement. That is an abuse of the system. However, I cannot figure out how your proposed solution would work. The whole point of “senior” status is to open a slot for a new appointment. Your proposal would result in more District Judges, who are for all intents and purposes fully active, than authorized by Congress. Your proposal would grant them CHambers and Courtroom preference provided that they maintain a full caseload. That’s not Senior status. Where is the funding going to come from for all of these fully active “Senior” judges? Where are the new appointments going to have chambers and courtrooms?

First of all, I would note that existing senior Judges retain court room and chambers as long as they maintain at least 25% of an active caseload. However, currently when a Judge takes senior status, even if he maintains 100% of an active caseload, he is shuffled to less desirable chambers and courtrooms, with junior active Judges being able to grab more favorable chambers and courtrooms.

When Congress created senior status in 1919, they clearly recognized that the senior Judges would represent Judges in addition to the authorized number of Judges for a particular court. While there is a set number of authorized Judgeships, that only applies to Judges in active status. There can potentially be an infinite number of senior Judges. Death and retirement, of course, keeps that number pruned.

For example look at these three courts:

S.D.N.Y.: Authorized Judgeships 28, currently serving senior Judges 16, not counting 1 inactive and 1 who moved his chambers to Connecticut.

C.D.Cal.: Authorized Judgeships 28, currently serving senior Judges 8 (due to the chronic shortage of Judges in California, Judges tend to burn out and retire, which unfortunately just exacerbates the problem)

9th Circuit: Authorized Judgeships 29, currently serving senior Judges 22.

My proposal would result in a slight increase in total Judges, active and senior, but that is a good thing because our Judiciary is critically understaffed.

Congress has been improving our Judiciary infrastructure with new courthouses that have additional courtrooms and chambers space, so we will be able to immediately accommodate any increase in the total number of Judges as a result of this act.

Finally, I would note that a Judge reaching his mandatory conversion date would have 4 options:

1. He could continue in senior status with a 100% caseload. In this case, he could keep his desired chambers and courtroom.

2. He could continue in senior status a reduced caseload which could be anywhere from 25% to 75% as he prefers. In this case, he would have to yield existing chambers and courtroom and move to less desirable space.

3. He could enter inactive senior status, meaning he remains a Federal Judge but no longer hears cases or participates in the business of the court.

4. He could retire outright.

The Judge would have choices, just not the choice of influencing his successor. :smile:

Judges taking options 1 or 2 would also keep the traditional senior status prerogative of being able to choose what general types of cases appear on their docket, rather than anything that comes at them off the round robin. For example, a Judge could decline to hear intellectual property cases or could decide to hear only criminal cases.

UPDATE: Yet more of the “pick your own successor” bull ■■■■■

Basically, the incumbent Judge is saying she will take senior status ONLY if Biden picks her preferred successor.

Biden needs to tell her to ■■■■ off, he is the President and can pick anyone he ■■■■■■■ damn well pleases.

Just all the more reason to adopt my “senior status upon eligibility” proposal in the OP to render Judges permanently helpless to influence the choice of their successors in any manner.

1 Like

i’ve got a better idea. when they retire, bye, seeya, have a nice life.

no senior status
no cherry picking cases
no more poisoning the court with their ideology

3 Likes

Senior status is not going to go away, nor should it. Frankly, the existence of senior status is the only thing that has kept the Federal Judiciary from imploding completely from the chronic shortages of Judges.

I have no issue with Judges in senior status being able to limit their docket. They can’t cherry pick individual cases, only classes of cases. For example, they can take criminal only or civil only. Some Judges stop hearing IP cases, some ONLY hear IP cases.

The “Good Behavior” clause makes it impossible to force out a Judge, other than for high crimes and misdemeanors or a breach of good behavior, so trying to get rid of undesirable Judges is not a consideration for me.

Conservatives will control the Supreme Court at least in the short and medium term, so it is irrelevant anyway.

My solution solves the most pressing problem and helps with another problem:

1. Stopping Judges from trying to control their successor.

2. By generally forcing Judges to senior status earlier, it will enlarge the supply of practicing senior judges, thus helping with caseload.

no. when they retire they should be done. period. that solves the problem.

Safiel, you need a job with a U.S. Senator who works on the Judiciary Committee.

UPDATE To add more fuel to the fire.

You may have heard the name “Chad Meredith” lately.

Well, now we know the details, including the fact that this is yet another case of a Judge demanding a SPECIFIC successor.

More fodder for enacting my reforms demanded in the OP.

Judges have no business demanding specific successors. My reforms in the OP would ensure they have no control over their successors at all.

Well, this is certainly, different, yet fits in with this OP. :smile:

This time, it is not about the identity of the successor. It is the fact that Biden’s pick would sit in Albany, not Utica, which is where the incumbent sits.

David N. Hurd may have sat in Utica, but he has no business dictating the location of his successor, just as other incumbents have no business dictating the identity of their successors.

And Utica is a mere 55 miles from Syracuse. Frankly, there is no need for a courthouse at Utica. Congress should pressure the Judicial Conference to close the Utica courthouse.

Hurd’s successor should sit at Albany or Syracuse, Albany in this case.

Again, the OP proposal would put an end to stuff like this.

Here is a writer lambasting said Judge.